Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How many bees do you smoosh?

7K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  cerezha 
#1 ·
I'm still fairly new at this. I think things are going well so far this season. The only problem is that I'm bothered by the fact that each time I go into my hive I smoosh bees between the boxes, between the frames, and under my fingers. It seems like a lot of bees die. That crunching sound makes me cringe. I feel terrible, and I'm wondering if this is just part of it, or if the expert beekeepers move smoothly enough to avoid harming any bees most of the time.
How do you do it?
Thank you.

#2 ·
As few as I can, as many as I have to.

When moving boxes I try to get one side clear of bees and set the next box on that edge then slide the upper box into position instead of setting it down in position.

#8 ·
Another trick I do when I;m pushing frames together and the little suckers don't seem to want to move is slowly move the frame I'm pushing up against the other ones back and forth a couple of times so I don't squish the bees on the ends of the frame but put enough pressure on them so they move.

#12 ·
I try really hard not to smoosh any - but my bees are thus far docile and not too bright! I usually get a couple when I am putting the boxes back on: it's an awful sound. They just don't move - or some of them do and then other ones come up to see what's going on. I have figured out how to handle the frames more smoothly now and haven't hurt any with that the last two inspections, but I still heard a crunch as I let the inner cover sit down.

#13 ·
I think I smooshed 4 last time... I put a screened bottom board down on the ground with a Queen excluder on top of it. I set my first box down on top of that. The QE just helps bees from not pouring out the bottom, not that they would anyway. I then put my top feeder on top of that so bees don't crawl out and since it's the top box, they're used to it. When I take off my second box, I put that on top of the feeder and then put my top board on top of that. Since I'm at 3 boxes right now, that keeps them contained and calm while I check the bottom box. I smooshed one bee pulling a frame as for some reason I drifted the front end toward the box and got one. The second bee I heard a crunch putting the second box back on the hive. The third, I was clearing a few bees from the top of the feeder with my hive tool and accidently caught one with the end a little bit. The fourth was a dead bee in the top of the feeder from the second box.... not sure if I smooshed her but she was pretty fresh, but no visible signs of being crushed. Since I had my brother with me, before I set a box down, i would just show him the bottom to make sure no bees were running around.

How about 'the one you remember the most'? The one bee I recall the most of me smooshing her... My hive has holes drilled in the front of each box for an entrance. They close off with a small piece of wood that's screwed into box and you just rotate it up or down to open the hole a little bit or a lot depending on if they're using it a lot or not. I keep only the bottom open but one time I opened the second just to check things out and see if they would use it. Well, after seeing no activity from the opening, I went to close it off, and of course as soon as I started to rotate the piece of wood to close it off a bee stuck her head out and .....CRUUUUNNNCH.

#14 ·
I usually crush a few, and part of is probably from wearing gloves, but if I don't wear gloves I usually get stung then get angry and don't care as much if some get crushed. I say that you can't help crushing a few bees unless you took lots of time and was very careful, but I doubt it's worth it to spend the extra time.

Nathan

#18 ·
I usually crush a few, and part of is probably from wearing gloves, but if I don't wear gloves I usually get stung then get angry and don't care as much if some get crushed. I say that you can't help crushing a few bees unless you took lots of time and was very careful, but I doubt it's worth it to spend the extra time.

Nathan
Understood !
It's all fun and games til I get my third sting on the hands, ankles etc.
I don't get flustered any longer just angry, not get in my truck and drive over the hives mad.
I definately stop carrying about smashing a few, I couple quick puffs of smoke to drive them down and I slide the lid on. Smash a dozen? Too bad so sad!

#15 ·
Maybe I am heartless but its their fault as I see it. I will gently place everything giving them ample time to get out of the way. If they are stubborn thats their choice. I attempt not to "smoosh" them but don't really feel guilty if I do. If I feel anything its aggrivation at failing in my attempt not to "smoosh" one.

#16 ·
I used to be so extra careful when placing everything back together it would take a long time to do an inspection. Although I am extra careful when putting frames back, im not to cautious when putting boxes back on or the covers. Now, im not slamming things together, but if I hear that distinct crushing sound, I dont worry anymore, besides, the bees clean up the mess and get their protien!! With 60,000 bees in a box its hard to be perfect every time!!

#17 ·
I usually reap about 4 or 5 on an inspection. At this point, it typically comes from them not getting out of the way when I'm moving the frames back into position. I've gotten good at offsetting the boxes and then rotating them into place, so it usually pushes any straglers out of the way as the box slides into position. I even slowly move the frames back into place and give them a gentle nudge as sort of a "Hey, get out of the way" kind of gesture, but invariably there are one or two stubborn ones who don't get the hint and they get reapped in the process.

#19 ·
Obviously, given that we now use only top-bar hives in our decidedly non-commercial operation, "the amount of bees that you|we smoosh" may or may not be particularly comparable. But one thing that we did notice right away is that there are things that you can do (at least, when handling a TBH) that seem to directly affect how defensive the hive becomes. For example, we've noticed a direct correlation between the number of openings that exist between the top bars, and the overall defensiveness of the hive. The more defensive the hive is, the more bees tend to put themselves into the position of being "smooshed."

#21 ·
The problem with smashing bees is that it releases some chemical, which alarmed others - there is danger here! It switches the whole hive into defensive/aggressive mode. Experienced beekeepers suggested to avoid smashing bees to keep them calm. To me, all bee-operations are difficult because I am very quick and "energetic" by nature. It took to me quite a while to learn how to slow down. Now in the hive I do everything as in artificially slowed movie - 10 times slower than normally I would do. I learned a few tricks:
- it is good idea to have a heavy canvas sheets to cover removed from the hive boxes - bees do not like light and no roof.
- at the bee class, they recommended to put removed boxes vertically on its side (if frames glued by propolis) on the ground.
- all movements needs to be done slow but steady, no stops - bees will immediately fill the gap if stop.
- slide box when it rotated around vertical axis by approximately 45 degree. When in place, rotate box back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.