Sad Queenless hive....

I have a hive, caught from a swarm on May 01, 2012. Installed in a 10 frame deep. I have not seen the queen, and no eggs or brood. I pulled a frame of eggs and larvae from my other hive and added it 05/24/12 on advice from a local keep. Checked hive 06/16/12, still no queen, no eggs, nothing. Pulled a second frame and added it. Bees are pulling larvae and capped brood out and removing them from hive. Local keep has no advice. Try purchasing queen, or combine with existing strong hive? Really need help here.

Default Re: Queenless hive....

I'd just add a frame of eggs each week...until they make their own queen cell from it. If they're pulling out ALL of the brood from the frames you're giving them, then they likely have laying workers &/or have been sprayed with neurotoxic pesticides, IMHO...so I wouldn't try to combine them until they start acting "right."
    The going consensus seems to be that 3 weeks of 1-frame-per-week "fresh eggs/brood treatment" fixes most queenless &/or broodless hives; see http://www.bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm.

Yes, they are even uncapping brood and carrying it out. They are not drawing much comb. I am feeding sugar syrup, 1:1, but they take very little. They feed on the stores from the frames I added. Very few bees are foraging. This is nothing like the first swarm. I hived them and they have two deeps full of eggs, brood, stores. I just added a medium super to this first hive. No problems. The second swarm, I just can't figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    I'd just add a frame of eggs each week...until they make their own queen cell from it. ...The going consensus seems to be that 3 weeks of 1-frame-per-week "fresh eggs/brood treatment" fixes most queenless &/or broodless hives; see http://www.bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm.
    Michael Bush says that you can just add a frame of open brood. Does it have to have eggs or can it just be open brood? Those eggs are hard to see.

If you want to make a queen they need to be eggs. Not sure at what day it is too late.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fran View Post
    Does it have to have eggs or can it just be open brood? Those eggs are hard to see.
    The intent is to have brood that's young enough (within 12hrs after hatching the egg) to rear a new queen from. To find eggs, stand with the sun just to the Left of directly behind you; hold the frame/bar in front of you with the sun hitting the bottoms of the open cells & look closely. If you have decent sunlight hitting the bottoms of the cells directly, it makes the eggs FAR easier to spot, in my experience at least.

added it 05/24/12 on advice from a local keep. Checked hive 06/16/12, still no queen, no eggs, nothing
    In that amount of time you could have a Queen who hasn't started to lay yet
    Go to Bush's page and see Q timing
    and as far as how Hygienic your bees seem to be they would have the Q'cells from the above date cleaned and repaired

JMHO

Thank you for the advice. I will add another frame. I hope there is a queen and she just isn't laying yet. The timeline on Bush's page gives me hope.

Odds are if you have open brood there are some eggs somewhere on that frame... but it's nice to see them... reading glasses help... light helps... a flashlight can help with the light. A photo with a flash can get light to the bottom and make them show up when you look at the picture...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

new2it
    Please keep us informed in the progress of this
    Helps us all

Thanks
    T

Thank you to everyone for their helpful advice on this hive. They are Queenless no more! I checked yesterday and there she was! She is laying, and her pattern (what little there was) looks good! Workers are bringing in pollen. They have begun to take the sugar syrup, and they are drawing comb! What a difference a few days can make! Thanks again for all the help!

awesome! glad to hear it

Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Ya......Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Congrats