Default pollen trap top mounted problems

I have two hives, top entrance, one was much stronger than the other, they are just a few feet apart, and I put the pollen catcher on the strong one, patiently waited for them to adapt a couple of weeks and left it on to gather pollen. Got a little pollen, but missed the early spring heavy pollen season. Yesterday I opened both hives, and what used to be the much much stronger hive and has the pollen catcher on it had only 4-5 frames of eggs and brood, and way less bees than it used to...while the formerly weak hive has THREE boxes of eggs and brood and is so populous with bees it was difficult to work. I gave the hive that used to be stronger some frames from this hive so they would have more eggs and brood, and gave the hive that used to be weak another super so they would have more room. It seems obvious to me that most of the bees from the hive with the pollen catcher went next door to avoid the pollen trap and made the other hive strong. I thought of putting the trap on the newly strong hive, but was afraid to, as it looks like the hive I had it on started very strong and almost disappeared, and there's not a huge amount of pollen coming in now anyway.

Years ago, when I had bottom entrance hives, and used a pollen trap on the bottom, I had no such problems, and they didn't seem to take any time to get used to it, and I would collect pollen for a few days, then slide the board to bypass pollen collection and give the bees free access, ... I don't want to go back to bottom entrances but I love bee pollen and want to collect pollen. What can I do?

After the two week 'adjusting' period, how long can you safely collect pollen with the top mounted trap, can you just leave it on or do you need to take it off after a few days, and if you do, does it take the two weeks adjustment period each time? And what about most of the bees leaving and going next door? thanks for any help you can give, Virginia

Default Re: pollen trap top mounted problems

What particular pollen trap did you use? If you are intent on collecting, get or make one like your old one.

Default Re: pollen trap top mounted problems

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    What particular pollen trap did you use? If you are intent on collecting, get or make one like your old one.
    Vance, the one i have is the sundance II, my old one was designed for the bottom entrance, and i now have top entrances, so what do you think? thanks, virginia