Thread: Eye wound.

Default Eye wound.

I just had to add this to the bee community. I took a few minutes to watch (no protective stuff on) my bees coming and going this morning and to decide if there was some robbing going on. It was very relaxing and fun.......until...........BAM! One little critter zapped me right below the right eye. Checked it out in the mirror and for the first time I was able to get the little venom sac and stinger out. She swelled up a bit but not too bad. Todays inspection is going to require the whole suit after that. I just feel bad that a little one went down today after I got a bit to close to her business. Thanks, that's it. juzzerbee

Default Re: Eye wound.

i got stung in the face, the first day i installed my packages. Didn't swell at all the first day. Then the next day it looked like i got punched in the face.
    -2013 OFFICIAL STING COUNT- 0
    -2012 OFFICIAL STING COUNT- 2

A while back while doing a split, we walked about 25 yards away to the shade to sit down and take a break. I had my whole bee suit on. Right after I unzipped my veil and lifted it, I got popped in the eyelid. I wonder if it's coincidence, or if there's something the bees like about eyes?
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Ouch! I'd hate to have to bee suit up just to watch the hives! I have glasses so hope that helps plus always stay to the side and don't breath close to the entrance. Sorry you got stung in the face!

Have yet to get stung during and inspection. Now, I did get stung jacking around after deciding to blow on a back crack of the hive, +1 to the bees. The bees are a really pretty laid back crew and getting close to watch the entrance isn't a problem. With all that being said, my wife did get whacked standing about 4 feet from the hive taking pictures. It was at dusk and I told her to crouch (she refused) since she was in the forager's flight path. She took one to the face, on the jaw. Again, have yet to get stung during and inspection (yes, I do gear up). But sometimes they do get the notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    A while back while doing a split, we walked about 25 yards away to the shade to sit down and take a break. I had my whole bee suit on. Right after I unzipped my veil and lifted it, I got popped in the eyelid. I wonder if it's coincidence, or if there's something the bees like about eyes?
    It's instinct. Most fuzzy creatures only have a few sensitive spots. The eyes are one of them.

To heck with that! Got veil, got gloves!

Even if (as is often the case) I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt, my face and my hands are off limits.

yep. The eye swelled up nice this morning. I think the guy at the fast food place today was trying to figure out if I had pink eye or not while I was ordering!! Glad to hear others get zapped when they are observing, as I was pretty embarassed of myself!!!! Today I kept the sunglasses on...just in case during the observing. I guess that little one made her point very clear to me. The other rookie move I did lately was walk through their flight path, yeah I know another non thinking move. Those little critters really "thwap" a person in the side of the head when they are coming in for their landing. I think Beesource should add a new thread, titled, "Rookie Moves, Bee Bloopers and the Pains that come with them." It might be entertaining to read and make the rest of us, "less than professional" beekeepers feel more at home in the Beeworld!!!juzzerbee