Default Worker bees revolting - My hive is dying!

I have two hives on the same property in SC. Both were started with package bees on April 1 of this year. One hive is thriving and the other has had nothing but trouble. There is no evidence of pests whatsoever. The hive has been requeened unsuccessfully after the initial queen was not present and there was no evidence of egg laying. At the suggestion of a local experienced beekeeper, I took a frame from the healthy hive and put it into the troubled one. Has anyone had this trouble with package bees? Do you have any suggestions on how to revive this hive?

Default Re: Worker bees revolting - My hive is dying!

Hi,

I think it was a good move to give the troubled hive a frame from your other hive that I presume had eggs & larvae on it so that the troubled hive would have the opportunity to make themselves a new queen. From the time you gave the frame to the time you start seeing eggs/larvae, 30 days could easily pass. You'll know a lot sooner than 30 days if queen making is in progress. On your next inspection look for a queen cell on the frame you added. If there isn't one I'd have your local guy go through the hive looking for signs of a queen. If you don't find one I'd combine the remaining bees into your other hive.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Default Re: Worker bees revolting - My hive is dying!

Agree with Mr. Dewey, I can only add that if your strong hive has enough frames with eggs I would add a frame of open brood every week for 3 weeks to see if you can coax them into raising a queen.