Default Small swarms or Bearding ?

It's hot today, 90 plus. This is the only hive that I have that is doing this. Actually, it is in the shade. A little history on this hive. Two weeks ago, went in to this hive. Emerged swarm cells. Doh! Took a couple, left a couple. Smashed the rest.No eggs or open brood at that time. Makes me believe they had swarmed once. So, figured they would establish new queen, dispatch the rest. Now this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md8vLhIcMW0&feature=plcp
    Swarms, or bearding,,,,,haven't seen dancing yet. See what tomorrow brings. Love to have two or three new queens.
    Thanks for thoughts.

Default Re: Small swarms or Bearding ?

Looks like bearding to me, though none of my hives are bearding and the thermometer is reading 104.

I'm thinkin that, but never seen that. Most of the bearding I've seen goes up the hive front. Something new.(to me)

looks like bearding to me. I have one hive that was completely covering the front of the hive today. I also had another hive swarm today, if they were swarming you would know it for sure. The whole area will look like a tornado of bees, and the noise is incredible.

Checked them this am. All back in hive. Just weird set of circumstances. Never seen one of my hives cluster like that. Guess they will do it again, we are looking for 100 today.
    Thanks

Swarm beard.jpg
    Here's a swarm that I got this year that is bearding. Mid 90s today.

That behavior doesn't surprise me ... that you'd infer from that to "smash the rest" rather does. Don't assume. "So it's hot outside today?" So what? Honeybees prospered in the Arabian deserts. "So you've convinced yourself that '... therefore, that's what they're gonna do... therefore, I gotta intervene and prevent it.'" Sez who? Think about it. Terribly easy to micro-manage beehives. Watch out. Not tellin' ya what to do here, but maybe (and... maybe not...!) sometimes the best thing to do is to not do anything at all. (I sincerely hope... please...) "JM2CW = 'nuff said."

When it's hotter-than- outside, just imagine how miserable it might be inside. 'Round these parts, this time of year, if we have no air-conditioning, we all sit out on the front porch and drink sweet tea.