Default Glue for attaching felt to fume board???

What type of glue is good for attaching felt to the metal top of a fume board? I had some 3M Super77 spray adhesive but reading the fine print it said not to use on vinyl or automotive headliners...so I take it that it can't deal with the heat that we might encounter. What about an automotive high-temp silicone? Simple hot-glue?

Thanks!
    Ed

Default Re: Glue for attaching felt to fume board???

Staples are commonly used.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Staples would work well at attaching the felt BUT I had the frame built and metal nailed on before I found where folks were stretching the felt over the frame and stapling *before* nailing down the metal. Does the felt need to be in close contact with the metal or will it work ok if it's 1/4"-1/2" away from the metal? I think I'll go for the high-temp silicone...seems the simplest fix.

Thanks,
    Ed

Hot glue gun and hot glue.

I'm really not familiar with using hot glue. I know the metal on the fume board won't get as hot as a hot glue gun but will it get hot enough to allow the glue bond to fail? Seems it wouldn't take much to hold up the light weight felt, but I don't won't to get into the bees and go "uh oh!".

Ed

I'd be surprised if 3m-77 doesn't work on the felt. Sheet metal guys use it all the time for insulation.
    Spray both pieces, let it sit until tacky then put it on.
    Dan

Dan, I figured Super77 would be the ticket but the only two "do not use with" statements were for vinyl and headliners. The only reason for the headliner warning that I could think of was the heat that a car roof is constantly exposed to during the day. I ended up using black RTV silicone that I picked up at the dollar store. Seems to have worked good...just put a bunch of dabs on the metal, smeared and pressed the felt onto it. My wife had some extra green felt and every time I see the fume board I want to either pick up a set of dice or a pool stick.
    Ed

3M-77 won't work on headliners because the glue won't hold on the foam backing, probably won't work in vinyl for the same reason (not enough contact area or solvent causes the vinyl to wrinkle).

I'd use the high temp 3M adhesive (8090? 9080?) which is what we use for the hood pads on Mercedes. The regular trim adhesive melts and the liner falls out in the summer otherwise.

You could also probably use TiteBond III, although it may not stick to the metal well enough. If glueing to wood, you will be fine with it.

peter

I used the 3M adhesive and it worked just fine. Make sure it cooks in the sun for a day so all odors and fumes from the glue are gone.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I just stapled felt to the underside of a regular telescoping cover. It works just fine!

I got it done...used the RTV silicone.

Now, just to share with other newbees like myself...

From what I can tell the standard way of incorporating the felt/cloth into a metal topped fume board is to attach the cloth before attaching the metal. It appears that a frame is built, the cloth is stretched over the frame and stapled down (maybe glued, too?) to the frame. *Then* the metal top is attached, thus sandwiching the edges of the cloth between the wood and metal. Where I've seen this procedure at did not include the use of glue. I would imagine that glue could be smeared on the metal top *before* it was attached to the frame and once attached press the cloth into it. Whatever the case, it's not piano-building or rocket science, I guess.

...a sheet of cardboard probably would have worked just as well but the black fume board has a nice dose of "cool" to it.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    Make sure it cooks in the sun for a day so all odors and fumes from the glue are gone.
    yeah you wouldn't want it to disturb the Bee-Go odor...
    Honeydew