Default Do some strong hives not swarm?

I have a strong colony I haven't done any swarm prevention to. It hasn't swarmed yet (that i know of) nor shown any signs of swarming. This made me wonder, do some hives randomly skip the swarming process?

Default Re: Do some strong hives not swarm?

Yes, those are the ones that produce the largest honey crop. The work force stays home and works rather than splitting.

Some bees are less prone to swam
    All bees do swarm
    What your doing, "knowingly or not" is good keeping
    How much honey are they packing?

T

Thanks for the responses. This hive started small in early spring, in a deep but just enough to cover 5 frames. Today they were in two deeps and four mediums. So far I've harvested 3 medium supers, almost 4. I'm just a backyard beekeeper, and this is a "strong" hive for me . I certainly enjoy them making the honey and delaying any swarm impulse. All I've done in terms of "keeping" them is add supers.

Actually you seem to be doing just the thing to keep them from swarming....adding lots of room in the form of empty supers. BTW...all bees will not swarm if managed correctly.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

This hive started small in early spring, in a deep but just enough to cover 5 frames So far I've harvested 3 medium supers, almost 4.
    You have done very well be sure to leave them enough to get through leaner times and winter

Sounds like a great honey crop. I have struggled with the idea of how much to actively "manage" or "keep" the bees. I am a backyarder also in my 4th year. It seems like the more I manage the more problems are created. I kind of feel like they have been keeping themselves for millions of years- I'm sure they know better than I- I just try to give them plenty of room.

Its my understanding that with enough intervention by the beek. they can keep even the largest strongest hive from swarming.

I have yet to achieve such zen....

I must not have properly managed this spring. I split em all and stole frames of brood otherwise from the strongest and almost 20% swarmed. Mostly I can make smug comments about bees swarming but certainly not this year. Now I just went over to a guy's house to help him. He knows very little and often calls me for direction. One of his three overwintered colonies has swarmed but is now requeened and will make a crop. The other two apparently aren't going to swarm and have the third super on over their two lead heavy brood chambers! Makes me think I need to neglect my bees more.