Hybrid View

Default No drones seen after two months

Any idea of when the queens will start laying drones?
    I installed two 3# packages with queens in two of my four tbh's on April 17th. One hive is doing so well that I would like to raise a few queens in one of the two empty hives for possible splitting later on; however, I have not seen any drones on/in either of the two hives. The reason I built these hives is because there are no bees in my area, so there'd probably be no drones to fertilize the new queens. I would rather they be fertilized by drones from my hives anyway.

Default Re: No drones seen after two months

Did you check the basement? Mine sit downstairs playing video games on little laptops. hehe

Sorry I am new and don't know much but I caught a swarm about a month ago, put in TBH and just now seeing them build some bigger drone comb cells. Then they take almost another month to hatch...I don't have very many either. Maybe you should order mated queens for when you split? Anyway that's my guess!

I put my bees in about 6 wks ago and I am just seeing drone comb cells

Thanks for the replies, clumsy red bear and stella379, we went looking for the queen yesterday in the slow moving hive; however, we never did find, but I'm fairly sure that she's in there. We too saw some drone cells scattered around the basically all regular capped brood. It's really weird that there is no large part of any comb designated specifically for drone production though. I am just going to let the slower moving hive go as is and hope that they survive the winter. Also, I am not going to do a split on the super-fantastive hive this year or next. Next spring, rather than messing with swarms, as I had originally planned for the two empty hives, I'm just going to buy two more 3# packages with queens for them like I wish I had done this spring. If the slow hive is still alive next spring, I will replace the queen with a fertilized one; otherwise, I'll buy another 3# package for that hive too. Increasing hives with splits, producing virgin queens, etc., takes away a month and a half of colony building. I'll spend my time hoping to prevent swarms rather than plan on getting one.

FYI My wife and I just now finished looking for the queen again, and this time we found her alive and doing well. There's a lot of capped brood with a few drones scattered around on the combs, but still there is no large area of drone cells. Hope I don't face this situation next spring if I should decide to do (attempt) a split.