Thread: Need extractor

Default Need extractor

Hello,

I'm a second year beekeeper with 3-4 hives, and I am in the market for an extractor. I'm not 100% decided on a particular extractor, but the compact deluxe extractor on the Brushy Mountain website looked good to me. If anyone in the DC area has an extractor they would be willing to sell me, please be in touch.

Thank you

DCB

Default Re: Need extractor

I got my extractor at Pigeon Mountain Trading Company. It's the extra tall one that only costs $140. It seems to be very sturdily built, but I have not had the privilege of trying it out yet. Not much description on their website, but you could call them. It fits two deep frames and probably four mediums or shallows. There is no strainer inside. It may be a better investment than the $390 one you are looking at, and their shipping cost is not bad. Worth looking into. Never heard anything bad about them.

Thanks! I checked out their website and it appears they have a wide selection of extractors. How long did it take them to ship? Are the gears in your extractor metal or nylon?

DCB

Quote Originally Posted by T152 View Post
    I got my extractor at Pigeon Mountain Trading Company. It's the extra tall one that only costs $140. It seems to be very sturdily built, but I have not had the privilege of trying it out yet. Not much description on their website, but you could call them. It fits two deep frames and probably four mediums or shallows. There is no strainer inside. It may be a better investment than the $390 one you are looking at, and their shipping cost is not bad. Worth looking into. Never heard anything bad about them.

It took about 5 days (not bad since they shipped it by truck and I live in MN). The gears are metal-everything is- except the wooden handle and the plastic honey gate.

Thanks. I called and they told me they were all out of extractors, and said the model they sold most commonly is the 9307. Looks like there is a wide variety of extractors on their website.

Glad to help. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Beekeeper View Post
    Thanks. I called and they told me they were all out of extractors, and said the model they sold most commonly is the 9307. Looks like there is a wide variety of extractors on their website.
    I can't comment on extractors, but my wife and I drove down there to PM one day just to see it and I bought a ventilated bee suit while I was there. There're really nice and knowledgeable folks there.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/