Default Queen Cup Questions

I may order an Italian Queen soon to produce a pure breed. When this colony makes a queen cup (/queen cell, idk what to call them), can I simply remove it and keep it in a temperature controlled jar with holes in the top?

If so, how to I remove it?
    What would I need to do to the cup to ensure it hatches properly?
    How do I care for the queen?

Default Re: Queen Cup Questions

There's a lot that goes into your question and I can't honestly answer it as thoroughly as other members here at beesource but I'll do my best.

In most any hive you'll find what are called queen cell cups. They look like a cell that has been drawn out away from the comb and are the beginning of a queen cell. https://kristaandjess.wordpress.com/...us-queen-cups/

Most hives will produce a couple of queen cell cups on random frames naturally to use as an 'Emergency Queen Cell' in case the queen is accidentally killed and they need to raise a new one post haste!

Can you simply remove it and keep it in a temperature controlled jar with holes in the top? Of course you can it would be considered an incubator of some type, however, should you is another issue. I don't know that I've heard of anyone using a jar to do this with. I think you would be a lot better off researching several different queen rearing methods and choosing one that works the best for you. If you're ever doing inspections of your hive and happen to find a bunch of capped queen cells you can cut out the capped queen cells and move them to a nuc or nucleus hive and wait until the queen emerges, mates, and begins laying.

My opinion and the best advice I can give you is to get a couple of books on the subject or just continue browsing the site here and other websites and begin gathering as much information as you can. One method that might work very well for what you are wanting to do is the Nicot method of rearing queens.

Hope this helps.

edit for clarity

In my original post after reading it it sounds like I'm saying you could just remove the queen cell cup and it would turn into a queen. That's incorrect. You would have to wait until there is a larva in the queen cell cup, the bees have drawn the cell out all the way into a fully capped queen cell and then remove it. Just removing the queen cell cup would serve no purpose.