Thread: Robbed!

Hybrid View

Default Robbed!

Started my first hive this spring, a nuc and its doing quite well. Not a lot of flowers around right now so I thought I would give the new hive a boost with some sugar water. I am using a chicken watering container with small rocks in the trough to prevent drowning. I was surprised how quickly it was going down. As a new beekeeper, I really did not know what was normal consumption. But, now I was at the point that they could easily go through 2-3 gallons a day! Tonight around dusk I went to check on it (its located about 10ft from my hive on a table) and noticed this "bee superhighway" heading out into the air north-east away from my hive. Guess what is north-east? Yup, a neighbor about a block and a half way who happens to keep bees. Just never occurred to me before that I might be feeding the whole neighborhood!

Default Re: Robbed!

I think thats why they call it "open-feeding"

Thanks, I was not familiar with the term. Just did a search on it. Learning lots Anyway, thought it was pretty funny when I saw the "superhighway".

When those bees are thru with the free lunch, if they are italians they may decide to see how easy it is to rob the colonies you are wanting to feed. Reduce the entrances or the bee superhighway may end at your hive entrances.

That is one of the reasons to never feed in remote stations outside of the hive. The other is that if it is cold, the bees cant get to the feed just when they need it most. Put your feeder in an empty hive body on top of your inner cover and put the top cover on top of that. Robbing can spread in an apiary and next thing you know, they are also robbing out your hive.