Default How much honey should I harvest?

I'm going into my second year beekeeping and first year of harvesting. My hive is 2 deeps with a shallow super on top which I have already robbed. The 2nd deep is full of honey on every frame. Should/Could I take any of that honey?

Default Re: How much honey should I harvest?

I know how much you want to get into that box of honey, but I would leave it for the bees. Keep added suppers. While waiting check with some of your local beeks and see what they winter with. Here in the North we like to have two deeps for winter.

Default Re: How much honey should I harvest?

Mike, I would probably just re super for now. I usually try to go into winter with 2 deeps. I got real lucky this past winter, if you want to call it that, with several light hives with no problem. But this isn't the usual case, I had already written them off in November. You still may make another super of honey between now and fall. But since this has been such an odd year who knows. They may end up using all that deep to get through the rest of the year. But if you are needing the honey you could take some but be perpared to feed if things don't pan out. Its up to you.