Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expelled Drones

Default Re: Expelled Drones

I had two colonies I had moved from a bear-accessed apiary. Each, about three days post-move, had a large kill out front that was approx. 80% drone. Total head-scratcher. Two other colonies in the same (new) yard totally unaffected.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I saw my hive booting young drones while others came and went freely. When I put the evicted ones back on the landing strip, they got an immediate reaction of not being wanted. Obviously the bees could sense something about them and wanted them gone. They could not fly either but seemed in perfect health. They could sit and run their wings fine, just couldn't get lift. The local lizard got a good meal anyways.

More than likely (barring any disease or mite crowding) the girls are simply saying no free food for you at this time. Once the nuc is established and has a positive food flow the drones will likely be allowed to stay...

I had two of my hives toss drone larvae. 20 or thirty. I like to think it hygienic for mites, but I just think it is the dearth we are coming into. JMO

It is now 2013 and I just started a new thread not seeing this one. What have you all found to be the case with drones being expelled in June? Did your hives that were evicting them still have other drones in the hives?

In the San Joaquin valley (CA) where my hives are, each one has a decent population of drones along with capped drones as well. I do see some dead drones on the ground, but nothing that I would be alarmed at. Lots of corn went in around my area as well.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12