I'm not sure that I have heard of toads being a significant pest problem in my area. In any case, my hives have upper entrances so that should mitigate most pest problems (i hope).
Accidental post in wrong thread
Last edited by tristan36; 05-19-2013 at 03:08 PM.
I love this solution. Thanks for sharing.
email@example.com - Also, when you bought the pipe did you cut some of the pieces to fit your schematic and if so; how did you re-thread the ends -
Did you get your materials at something like Home Depot or did you go to a plumbing specialist - Thanks, Chris Henderson 209 736-9914
[QUOTE=Charlie B;815598]After losing two nucs to ants I came up with a solution for those darn Argentine ants that raid hives
thanks charlie. i read that this morning. I will pass it on to my husband, who spent an afternoon a few weeks back constructing the wooden base! might be prudent to start over!
In post #7 on this thread I created a materials list. The list along with the photo's are the "tutorial" I posted for instructions. I bought everything at Home Depot already sized to fit. Home Depot however will cut and thread the pipe to different lengths if you like.
I would recommend using 2" pipe and concrete for the hive stand legs if you're in a windy or rainy area for added strength.
Thanks for info Charlie B. finished my hive stand last night and today no ant! Used 10 foot 2 x 6 so i put 3 one inch posts.
Last edited by joelee; 05-23-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Misspell
I must be doing something wrong. My grease keeps falling out. I think I put too much in the cups. I'm going to reduce the grease
when the bees are inactive for a few hours. NO ANTS THOUGH! Oh, and you have to keep the grass cut short under it or they just
use it as a bridge..dah!
How big are your cups? I use 2" in diameter cups mounted on a 1" pipe. Not much room to slip down. If you have wider cups, you can use stiff mesh hardware cloth screen cut to the size of your cups and slipped half way into the cup to keep the grease from sagging.
3" cups. Good idea I will try it. Thanks
We already had the hive stands build so we build a 'bridge' around the hives, screwed it to about 3/4" above bottom of wood legs. Used pvc cut lengthwise for sides, and elbows also cut lenghtwise to connect at corners. Used pvc glue and screws to adhere to legs and caulked around any possible escape routes! sprinkled cinnamon into the 'pvc trays' . the ants hate cinnamon so hoping this is a way to discourage them from climbing up into hive. day 1 and 2 look good I'll keep you all posted.
Here is my own adaptation for my stand. So far so good! Thanks for such a great idea!!image.jpg
Very cool adaptation, will try something like this with my next hive stand! Got a few carpenter ants made it across mine but not many. The smaller ants don't have a chance
Ok so I don't know ya but I'm thinking you have just become my hero I have problems with ants also and this is a great idea many thanks