Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: My Ant Proof Hive Stand Actually Works!

Charlie B,
    Just a quick question as I am going out to buy materials today. Do you put end caps on the pipe ends you pound into the ground?
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Tex,

No end cap on the ground end of the legs. You can either cut the threads off at angles with a grinder to sharpen the end that goes into the ground, (easier to pound in) or just pound in as it is. Quick tip, screw on an end cap at the other end and pound on it so you don't damage the threads you'll need to screw on the cross T's.

You can also dig a hole and concrete the legs in much like a fence post. This adds much more stability if you plan on having more than a couple of hives on your stand.

If you already have a basic hive stand you can also do a modified addition (post#20) that's less expensive but works just as well.

Good luck!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Charlie B,

Nice description, I like your setup.
    I have tried something similar and I have one thing to add that could be useful, especially with the galvanized pipe that you have. As you said, the grease needs touch up once in a while. If you are like me and don't do that until the ants have made a good path, they may even cross over fresh grease (possibly because the Vaseline I use might not be as good as bearing grease). If that happens, you can use a blowtorch to heat the pipe and destroy the chemical trail that marks the path. Once that is done, they won't know to climb the pipe and won't be testing the grease anymore.

Here is a link to a thread that shows a picture of my setup.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...elf-hive-scale
    I haven't filled the caps with grease though, I have just coated the inside.

I built two on Sunday. One is installed/completed and the second only needs to put on the "T" posts, grease cups, and top wood assembly on top. I just ran out of light so my hives, 3, are sitting on the ground and I will put them on the stand as soon as it warms up enough to break them down and move. I think our temperatures will be back up on Thursday.
    Thanks again Charlie B!
    Last edited by mmmooretx; 11-12-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

You're very welcome Tex. You will enjoy not having to buy cinnamon, DE, Amdro or all the other stuff that's recommended which doesn't work. You can feed and grow your nucs in peace!

Here's my stand I built at my Saratoga yard. The Argentine ants were impossible to keep out of my hives until now.

Saratoga Yard 1.jpgSaratoga Yard 2.jpgSaratoga Yard 3.jpg

Very nice Charlie B! By the way while this variety of nematode does not work on ants it seems to have knocked down my SHB population. I still see a few but much less.
    http://www.bugsforgrowers.com/produc...abditis-indica
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    while this variety of nematode does not work on ants it seems to have knocked down my SHB population. I still see a few but much less.
    http://www.bugsforgrowers.com/produc...abditis-indica
    How do you apply them?

Basically you put their package in a watering can, stir it up, and water the area around your hive just before dark. This allows them to get in to moist dirt without drying out. I think you need to do this once a year as winter tends to kill off the nematodes.

I had never heard of this but it's a great idea. I'm starting to see SHB in several of my hives so I'm going to try it. Thanks!

Hi Charlie, Hey Thanks, what a great idea!

Argentine ants are a new invader to my country and have shown up at one of my mating yards after someone dumped a load of rocks nearby. Unlike the other ant species that are a nuisance but don't actually harm the bees, the argentine ants actually attack them and can throw a small nuc into chaos.

I've been so worried about spreading them through my whole outfit that I haven't taken any equipment out of this yard and it's a pain. Now, i'm in a slow and painful process of moving the bees, one frame at a time, into "clean" equipment, and from there they go to a holding yard where I can watch them for a time to make sure no ants came with them, and eventually they will go elsewhere, I'll be abandoning the argentine ant site.

The best device I've seen so far has been with legs sitting in bowls of water, but that's obviously not practicle larger scale, so your grease idea is awesome.

The spread of argentine ants in my country has been researched and is an interesting read. They are mainly spread by people. They fight running battles with other ants, and sometimes the other ants are able to roll them back from previously held territory. So wether they'll take over the whole country is not certain. But in any case, I feel a whole lot better now that I've seen your grease trap idea, I'll use it if I have to go into argentine ant territory at some future time.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Oldtimer,

I'm glad to help. It's extremely frustrating to lose nucs to Argentine ants. I'm working on another design that's less expensive that I'll post soon.

Have you seen many bees in the grease? We use water but the bees love to drink it so we're always losing a few to drowning.

Bodosom,

The grease smell seems to repell the bees, so far, not one bee fatality unlike using tanglefoot.

Here's another less expensive version using wood dowels. You can use any type of wood but I chose to use pressure treated and painted the top railings.

Screwed Flush to grease dowel.jpgDrill Hole in Top of Hive Stand Leg.jpg
    Insert Grease Dowel in Hole.jpgFrontview.jpg
    Hive Rest Joist.jpgFinished side view.jpg

Thanks Charlie for the great idea! I have lost 3 weaker hives this year to these ants. I have tried everything including high temp bearing grease, but not in the caps. It does degrade when it is not covered and they come back with a vengeance. I will commence building these stands and look forward to not having this issue again!
    mike

Is it possible to get most of this pre assembled?

insane,

All of the materials used are common dimensional lumber sizes you can get at any Home Depot or Lowes including the white PVC end caps. I used 3" deck screws to fasten it all together.

Beezly,

You're very welcome. You're right, grease and tanglefoot degrade rapidly when you just smear it on hive stand legs. It also collects debris that forms bridges for the ants to march across. I chose the upside down cups to protect the grease from rain and debris. The white cups deflect heat so the grease doesn't run in hot weather. Enjoy your ant free beekeeping!

Ok. I was looking for a couple short cuts.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast