Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: My Ant Proof Hive Stand Actually Works!

I suspect the one-man auger that Phoebee is referring may be similar to this ...

I used a similar one to drill holes for a pole/post barn I built. But once you get down to larger rocks or slate, its back to the 'ole digging bar.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

The one I used is smaller, but probably takes more lifting. I like the one above, cantilevered off the wheels. Mine required the operator to lift the entire weight of the auger end.

http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipm...0030&catid=s85

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    What they don't tell you is it gets a pound heavier every time you need to pull it from a hole,...

I have a Ford 1300 that could mount an auger, but a neighbor with a similar-sized Iseki has an auger for his and he says it's just a machine for shearing shear pins. IIRC a 601 would eat my little 1300 alive, so I'm surprised you could stall it.

I dug the first hole with a digging bar and post hole shovel. In our rocks, I'm good for maybe two post holes a day that way.
    That is the problem, pulling it from the hole once it screws itself past the rocks. I have had it where the 3 point wouldn't pull if from the ground and picked the front wheels off the ground. No reverse. -

Some people might rev up the engine and that will snap pins. Keep the engine on the low end and when the digging slows it down the governor will respond with more throttle. That gives you the same horse power capability but not all at once where you snap pins or worse.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Tractor wheelies ... never my favorite, especially on our uneven mountain terrain. But what I like even less is trying to pick up too much in the front end loader with too little air in the front tires. She does this alarming little "curtsey", lifting one or both rear wheels off the ground. I added a roll over protection system but I still don't care for it.

The rocks may come out. I found the roots to be worse. They hold better.

Ah ha, roots! no problem. I built a root riper. And the deep roots I use my potato plow. Now stumps, that takes a different technique. Think Tornado ... it easiest with two tractors. Wrap two chains around the stump in the same direction. Each chain goes to a different tractor going in opposite directions. Trees weren't meant to take torque. You can do it with one tractor but having two is the ticket.
    Brian Cardinal

Sounds like fun but my wife does not like driving a stick ... can't get her on the tractor even if I could borrow a second. And the 1300 is a little thing, not enough weight for serious traction. It weighs about a ton with the loader, maybe a little more with the pie weights. And my particular tractor lacks a drawbar under the axel ... don't want to try that trick pulling above the axel unless you like being under a tractor. I see the bolt holes, but need to find a drawbar for it.

I've been told to cut the stumps high so you can push them over after they rot. I've got one right beside the hive fence, an 18" diameter oak that is cut high enough for a bear to climb on and jump into the apiary. It's going to be cut to the ground this weekend, and let the termites have the rest. That's the one whose roots have made this job difficult.

Ah, for the good old days. Go down to the hardware store and buy a little dynamite.

Well the hard way is taking a pic axe and shovel and clearing each horizontal root and yanking one at a time. Hook the chain to the front of the tractor and pull backwards. Use little jerks. The force is like ten fold as opposed to just pulling. Persistence will get it out but it will take time.
    Brian Cardinal

Did a lot of that clearing the flat spot for the apiary. I left the stump but the roots on one side are mostly gone.

This is too much stump for too little tractor for this particular spot. If I really wanted it yanked out, I have a buddy with a D9 that would pull it out like a toothpick. But the Stihl will shave it off low enough that I won't care. In five years the roots will just be compost.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789