Thread: Shim for OAV

Default Shim for OAV

I am planning to make a shim to treat from above. In past treatments, some frames have been charred on the bottom. The shim I am thinking about will be about 3 inches high. I am planning to use some metal mesh (as wide as the tray) to rest the tray on and keep it off the frames. The mesh will extend all the way across the box and secured to minimize sagging. I am thinking about putting the opening about 1 inch from the bottom of the shim to help keep off the frames.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Default Re: Shim for OAV

One thing that is good about treating from the bottom rather than from above is
    that you can control the height of the hive shim. I use my homemade oav gadget to
    burn the oav into the hive from the bottom. I made a 1" shim to raise the hive box a bit.
    If you don't like to deal with the burr comb then slide in another piece of wood board at the bottom of
    the hive. Just pull out the board when it is time to oav the hive. I use a bottom treatment option because
    when the bees fan after the oav burn the fanning will distribute the oa crystals into the hive above. Not sure if
    they can fan the crystals out using the top treatment method.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I treat from the bottom board never have scorched, charred, burned a frame the slightest bit. I use a varrox vaporized. I simply remove any entrance reducer that may be on the hive. Slide the vaporizer in and Place the sealing board on, then charge the vaporizer. As the vapors rise they cover the hive components evenly and condense on everything. And it is fast and easy Under 5 minutes per hive.

Seems to me there is not much of a savings in buying a cheaper tool if it cost you extra equipment and work to operate. Just saying.

One problem is how the OAV goes up rather than down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I treat from the bottom board never have scorched, charred, burned a frame the slightest bit. I use a varrox vaporized. I simply remove any entrance reducer that may be on the hive. Slide the vaporizer in and Place the sealing board on, then charge the vaporizer. As the vapors rise they cover the hive components evenly and condense on everything. And it is fast and easy Under 5 minutes per hive.

Seems to me there is not much of a savings in buying a cheaper tool if it cost you extra equipment and work to operate. Just saying.
    Well............ I am not sure how you keep from not scorching the bottom of the frames. I use the same vaporizer and it scorches the heck out of the frames in my hives doing it the same way you are! I charge the vaporize for 2 1/2 minutes and it burns it every time.

I was getting melted wax on occasion. I was worried about it igniting. I built slatted racks. No problems with the varrox after that...
    10 hives, 8 frame-medium; pacific coast; zone 8b; long, cool, wet winter; mild summer; 90" avg. rainfall

I have considered making some top shims. I have severely charred a bottom board in at least one hive with a Varrox. I made several bottom boards using re-purposed 30 year old western red cedar lumber and it's what got charred. Looking at the burn on the wood, I'm lucky it didn't catch on fire. I'm guessing there wasn't enough oxygen present with all the OAV in the hive. The burn is a 1/4" deep black section of charcoal.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Would it be possible to fasten a piece of asbestos from a brake pad or maybe an old asbestos shingle onto the bottom of a varrox and still slide it into the hive thru the entrance? Am considering buying one and would probably attempt this sort of a solution to the fire hazard problem. Already caught a hive on fire by setting a hot smoker onto the lid for too long.

This leads up to the following advice:
    "ALWAYS KEEP A COUPLE GALLON JUGS FULL OF WATER IN THE TRUCK".
    (you can wash the honey off your hands and/or gloves when not fighting fires )
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

I had the same problem with the varrox, it takes too long to evaporate the acid. Put an electric iron on a board for 3 minutes and you have scored wood, not after one minute.
    There are other, three times faster vaporizers. I'm finished in a minute and no burning.

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    Would it be possible to fasten a piece of asbestos from a brake pad or maybe an old asbestos shingle onto the bottom of a varrox and still slide it into the hive thru the entrance? Am considering buying one and would probably attempt this sort of a solution to the fire hazard problem. Already caught a hive on fire by setting a hot smoker onto the lid for too long.

This leads up to the following advice:
    "ALWAYS KEEP A COUPLE GALLON JUGS FULL OF WATER IN THE TRUCK".
    (you can wash the honey off your hands and/or gloves when not fighting fires )
    I've found that some of my bottom boards are relatively "tight" but most have plenty of room. Even a cut soda can would help if scorching is a concern. I certainly wouldnt want scorched asbestos in my hives or honey. I keep a can of water to dip the wand in between burns to cool it down before each cycle. Burn time for complete sublimation with the Varrox is around 1:30.
    Zone 8a - Elev.~ 1,100 ft. Sandy, OR.
    Apiculture: A culmination of animal husbandry and alchemy.

I too find my varrox run time for complete evaporation of the 2 ml dose is slightly less than 1:30 So I set my run time timer for the 1:30 and have never found any scorching of the frames. I have never examined the bottom board But never noticed anything that stands out.

To vaporize from the top, just make a shim about 2" high. Cut a small slot for the vap. Also cut a 1/4" piece of plywood about 3-4" square. Place the plywood on the frames, place the vap on the plywood. Cover with the top cover and vaporize. The vapors will go throughout the hive as if vaporizing from the bottom up, that plus the bees fan the vapors to cover all....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by GarrickG View Post
    I was getting melted wax on occasion. I was worried about it igniting. I built slatted racks. No problems with the varrox after that...
    Slatted racks work for me as well..... Some scorching but no chance of setting the hive on fire....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 9H OAV

I treat from the top with a 4inch shim and as SNL stated I also use a piece of 1/4 plywood to set the burner on. If you give them a little smoke before placing a damp towel over the entrance and a puff in the top before closing the lid on the shim they will circulate the vapors as they try to get the smoke out. Never had a problem.