Default first case of chalk brood

I've read other threads and looked at the pics, what I have is definitely chalk brood.

It's in a hive that had been one of my strongest, so not sure how it happened. It's a deep with 2 mediums, no queen excluder.
    When I went through the hive to find the queen, there were a lot of frames with chalk brood intermingled with capped and open brood.

What happens with the brood that appears to be ok? This hive has at least 10 frames of brood, no less than 1/4 in chalk brood form. I will go back next week and look for queen again, but wasn't sure of what I will do after that. Combine a nuk to it? I am going to raise some queens this spring, as soon as orange blossom flow is done and saw palmetto starts.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: first case of chalk brood

I saw the first chalk brood in any hive for the first time last week. We had a cooler period fro about a week two to three weeks ago. got warm again and then this past week it cooled again. This not only disrupted my preparations for rearing some queens but I suspect we will see another bout of chalk brood from it as well. Monday we where to introduce the first grafts to a cell builder we spent the last 10 days preparing. I am thinking it will be far to cool to get frames of emerged brood. We will see.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I hear you Daniel, first splits on the ground with queens emerging and we finally get a decent storm system that will span the next 10 days or so.... hopefully we get a day or two of nice weather and they can get mated.... Chalkbrood can also be genetic, typically it clears up after requeening but fluctuating temps play a role as well.

Cold and damp bring it on and it lives in old black combs. Requeening is good to keep it to a minimum.

no less than 1/4 in chalk brood form
    When I've seen this much or more chalk brood with a very spotty brood pattern I have remove all the brood combs that contain mummy's and replace with starter strips and had good luck in having them come back without chalk brood and a solid brood pattern. When it gets to this point it seems that an interruption is helpful whether it's a brood interruption or replacing the queen or both.

Just re-queen from stock selected for hygienic behavior. Easy fix. No need to dispose of brood or combs.

Thanks everyone. Going later today to look again for the queen. I have a strong hygienic nuk and will newspaper combine. So good to know I don't have to pull out the frames of chalk brood.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24

I took out the queen and 5 of the worst frames. Then I took the remaining 5 deep frames and put them in with the strong nuk moved into a 10 frame deep. Double layer of newspaper, and 2 medium supers on that which had chalk brood/good brood in middle frames and honey outer frames.

I went back on Sunday, took out the newspaper mess and checked the medium boxes, and they were all cleaned out already. It was so cool. Queen is now in my new queen juice.
    Wanted to share my experience for anyone else who might need it.

I had begun to suspect it was chilled brood that caused chalkbrood. Then I found several studies that confirmed it. So I see two issues. One is the beekeeper spreading them too thin too early (early splits, opening the brood nest too early etc.) and the other is bees that try to raise more brood than they can keep warm in your climate.

http://www.apidologie.org/articles/a...4_ART0001.html
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ms...lk%20Brood.htm

Try a search on:
    temperature chalkbrood
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    .) and the other is bees that try to raise more brood than they can keep warm in your climate.
    I wondered about all the brood in this particular hive, brood in all three boxes, plus we'd had a couple cool fronts (50's) go through a few weeks before it happened. I will read the articles later today. Thanks Michael.

I went through the whole hive today and not one trace of chalkbrood. Thanks everyone!