Default powdred sugar treatments and a solid bottom board any point ?

ok so i am a new beek . I just got my bees last week .
    I am running Carnies in a long lang box .
    I was planning to put a Screened bottom board in the bottom of the box with removable panels as part of my mite control strategy . However I was advised against a SBB by my bee supplier , he claims that he has seen little benefit from them , and they can cause problems with wax moth , mice and other pests getting under the screen where the bees can't deal with them . Also we are in a northern climate so he recommended against adding a SBB .
    This was ok with me as it simplified the hive design , and kinda fallowed along with some stuff I had previously read .
    the issue is this , I had planned to do regular powdered sugar treatments to keep the mite in check , will this work in a hive without a SBB ?
    if the powdered sugar causes the mites to drop with a SBB they fall through the screen and can't get back onto the bees , but with out te SBB the powdered sugar will knock off some mite but they will just land on the solid floor then crawl back up onto the bees . Am i correct on this or do the mites die after falling off the bees ?

Default Re: powdred sugar treatments and a solid bottom board any point ?

If they land on a solid bottom they attach to the first bee that walks by. Powdered sugar works best when there is no sealed brood in the colony, so once brood is capped powdered sugar is not very cost/time effective. By long Langstroth box do you mean your box uses frames instead of just bars for comb to be built on?

Your next solution to mite control using no chemicals would be drone brood trapping. This helps reduce the varroa mite's population rate of increase. Once you decide to use chemicals, just try to stay away from Check Mite and Apistan as these build up in the wax comb.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

yup long lang or horizontal lang 31 deep frames

If you have a beekeeping friend that will loan you Langstroth deep boxes you can put the frames in, dust, leave them alone for 10 minutes in which time 90% of the mites that will fall will drop off, then return the frames to the Long hive. I usually only sugar dust when I have adult bees and no eggs/brood older than a week. After there is brood sealed drone removal works better. Both dusting and drone trapping works great on swarms and packages, or nucs that have all the brood taken away.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

That is a great Idea , I can bang out a lang box easily enough , i could even put a SBB in it for purposes of counting how many mites fall off .
    thanks