Thread: SHB Mess

Default SHB Mess

Two weeks ago, a family member lost a hive to SHB.

One super and 4 or 5 frames got slimed. Hundreds of larvae all over the frames, everything ruined. Didn't see any on the bottom board so I think they hadn't tried to pupate yet.

Didn't have a good way to deal with it at the time, and wasn't going to bring all the beetles back to my house or let them escape, so we double bagged the box and frames in black trash bags and left it in the sun. Figured we'd cook the beetles and deal with it later.

After a week, they were still worming around in the bag, after two weeks nothing left but a bunch of dried out larvae.

Anyway, the stench from the bag is unbearable, makes you want to puke, and it is in the back of my truck. So what's the best way to deal with this? I assume the comb gets hacked out and thrown in the trash. Do you clean or sterilize the frames? And would all the eggs be dead at this point?
    Last edited by tanksbees; 07-15-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Default Re: SHB Mess

If it were mine it would get torched! I dont want that kind of rot in my hive nor even try to clean up.I know it has to soak into all the wooden ware.If it was still fresh it would of been thrown in a tub of bleach water and cleaned up and rinsed good.

"Two weeks ago, a family member lost a hive to SHB."

It is almost certain that the hive was "lost" because of something else - probably queenlessness - SHB are like vultures, they don't really do the killing they prey on the dead or dying.
    Since '09-40H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    "Two weeks ago, a family member lost a hive to SHB."

It is almost certain that the hive was "lost" because of something else - probably queenlessness - SHB are like vultures, they don't really do the killing they prey on the dead or dying.
    No, not queenlessness, we had brood in the hive, and it was packed with bees. They were treated for mites back in Feb with 4 rounds of OAV, and no signs of mites that I could spot. It seems like they absonded, we had good numbers in the hive, a week later they had disappeared and the SHB and ants had taken over.

I really don't know what the deal is with this location, the SHB and ants are out of control. We will be putting freeman beetle traps on the remaining 2 hives.

if it I ---wash the the frames in the bag-- in a pan of pure BLEACH-----let them dry good stick them back in
    Last edited by allniter; 07-15-2015 at 11:26 AM.

make sure that bees can get to all sides of the honey. One HUGE mistake people make is flipping frames, or letting the comb faces touch, or allowing the honeycomb to touch the sides of the hive. You must maintain beespace between all surfaces. I once had a huge, booming healthy hive. I checked on them, and then 2 weeks later checked, but smelled something funny. Got to the last frame on the other side, and noticed it was pushed against the side of the box. When I pulled it up, the entire face of it was writhing, but the rest of the hive box was normal. Rinsed them off on the blacktop driveway so they'd die a slow death of dehydration and put the frame back in with space so the bees could get to it, and everything was fine.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobWok View Post
    make sure that bees can get to all sides of the honey. One HUGE mistake people make is flipping frames, or letting the comb faces touch, or allowing the honeycomb to touch the sides of the hive. You must maintain beespace between all surfaces. I once had a huge, booming healthy hive. I checked on them, and then 2 weeks later checked, but smelled something funny. Got to the last frame on the other side, and noticed it was pushed against the side of the box. When I pulled it up, the entire face of it was writhing, but the rest of the hive box was normal. Rinsed them off on the blacktop driveway so they'd die a slow death of dehydration and put the frame back in with space so the bees could get to it, and everything was fine.

Rob
    That's probably what it was. This hive had some wonky comb that was all jammed together.

I brought the frames to work and just finished pressure washing them on the concrete. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Their was still a half frame of untouched honey, but no way it was going back in any of my hives. Just pressure washed it out. Some bees on the pavement right now licking up the residue.

Felt really good murdering the remaining SHB with the pressure washer. I thought mites and wax moths were bad. SHB is so much worse.

Setting the hive, slimed frames and all on a fire ant mound would have cleaned it right up.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

We don't have fire ants.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksbees View Post
    We don't have fire ants.
    Wow you are extremely lucky!

I bet SouthTexasJohn or I could find one or two fire ant queens to ship you. Heck I think I could go fast and get an decent size shovel full of dirt from the center of a mound into a box and seal it fast for you if you really wanna go that route.

With all the rain we got this year, it really knocked them back, but last year it was find a 20x20 foot spot in the yard without fire ant and I would give you $100.

But the beetle numbers are increasing here as well. Just hoping the rain drowned lots of pupae as well.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 2 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

A strong hive can be taken out quickly by shb or they will abscond. I think the comment about making sure bees can get to all areas of the comb is a great piece of advice. If you move frames around or change the order, make sure none touch, especially if you shave end bars. It's easy to say some other problem weakened your hive first but I've had a strong hive go down quickly with no other apparent problems. I'm not sure we always give shb's enough attention.

Well I left the box and frames out to dry, saw two bees fighting over the box yesterday which I thought was odd, covered it with a piece of plywood and a swarm moved in this afternoon.

I guess all the honey any pollen and hive stench all over the ground must have attracted them.

My problem with SHB is different.
    I had my extra drawn frames from some deadouts stored in what I thought were air tight bins. I went into them today to get some frames for some splits and found several frames having the writhing little maggots. The bins were sealed enough to keep the wax moths out but apparently let some SHB in.
    The bins were getting checked regularly to make sure they didn't have any problems but apparently it doesn't take long for those vermin to really trash them.
    The frames were hosed off with a pressure nozzle and am leaving them out to dry.
    What can I use to treat the frames to keep SHB away? There are several products to keep wax moths away from the frames but I don't know of any product for SHB.
    My only other option is after winter arrives and we get below freezing, I am going to seal my drawn frames in plastic bags and put the bags in the bins.
    Man I hate those beetles!

I don't know but would love to have someone tell me there is a Bt for SHB.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 2 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet