Default :D Love to Vaporize those Varroa

Today was the first good day i've had since getting my vaporizer from SLN to actually use it.
    Had to wait a week to get my OA from the local store ordered in.
    Since there isn't any brood at this point this should be very effective at killing them blood sucking little vampires.
    Went through 43 hives today with no problems.
    Some DDeeps, some SDeeps, some NUC's. All in all I must say, simple, easy, fun in lots of ways.
    Lit my smoker, purched it on the hive to determine wind direction.
    Loaded up the vaporizer with the OA.
    Slid it into the hive, then hooked up to a battery.
    Waited 2:30 and removed from battery.
    Waited another 2 min and pulled it out the hive.
    Complete burn each and every time.

All in all it took me most of the afternoon to deal with all the hives, but it was time well spent. Got to look in on a few of them too while I was at it to check their stores, and cluster size.
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Default Re: :D Love to Vaporize those Varroa

Tom, thanks for your purchase! Sounds like you had a great day!! It's fun to kill mites, is it not?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Larry,
    It is very fun indeed to kill mites. Today was an awesome day. Not only was the weather just wonderful allowing the bees to get out and about, but it was nice enough for me to feel perfect while vaporizing those mites.

There's something about the feeling of knowing that 95% or more of the varroa in the hives are going to be dead rather soon that makes me feel good inside. It takes a huge weight off my chest knowing that i've done all I can for the bees this year, and now it's up to them to show me their stuff and get through the cold.

Honestly, I have no fears of them making it through the cold. So now it's time to kick back, relax, and wait till early spring and kill some mites again just for good measure.

By the way, Your very welcome for the purchase! Don't be too surpised if I end up getting a couple more later on before spring hits. My hive counts are going to go way up this year, and I will need to be ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by drlonzo View Post
    Larry,

By the way, Your very welcome for the purchase! Don't be too surpised if I end up getting a couple more later on before spring hits. My hive counts are going to go way up this year, and I will need to be ready for it.
    Treating with the vaporizer made me feel the same way. Do you think we got euphoria from breathing the vapor?

The last few times I have done the OA vaporization have not been very exciting............. no mites on drone brood pulled, none on sticky board before or after, (spot check only) I am in a very unusual situation though with no feral bees and no kept bees to re infest me. In three years I have only brought in a few queens for diversity.

I had an inspection by two provincial bee inspectors this fall and they were very interested in my OA vaporizer experience as they had not used it yet in their own hives. I dont think I am doing anything exceptional but was given the advice before I started to get the mite levels as low as possible and keep on top of it. I probably will do another vaporizatiion in early spring before I even unwrap the hives. It is possibly not necessary, but so far I have not experienced any negative effects from being aggressive in regards to mites. Zero winter losses with 3, 6, and 8 hives. 6 again this year but too early to count those as survivors for another 3 months.

I will pull back slowly from treatment in the future if I don't see ANY sign of mites. I don't think this is a model that many others will experience wherever there is lots of wild bees and other kept bees esp. migratory. Stay vigilante; a lot easier to stay ahead in a game than it is to come from behind!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I am in a very unusual situation though with no feral bees and no kept bees to re infest me. !
    This idea has always made me ponder upon what seems to be the most obvious fix to the entire varroa problem.
    If varroa must have a host to live through the winter, If everyone in a particular area was to treat several times through the year it would essentially kill them out completely. Then make sure any new beekeepers did the same thing with their hives, or bought NUC's or packages directly from the local area only.

It's only an Idea, and i'm sure there are many flaws with it. The theory though is the important thought. lol..
    All that I know is that I will continue to keep my bees alive, and do my best to protect them so that they can take care of me too.

I did my first OAV vaporization yesterday, 3.5 minutes with a homebuilt vaporizer. Some of the vapor drifted out of the hive so i'll need to make some adjustments before I treat my next hive. I could go shorter on the vaporization time I think. I don't have a chemical mask so I used a 12 volt power supply and a 50 foot extension cord and let everything settle for 10 minutes after before pulling the vaporizer out.

What dosage are you guys using? I used 2 grams for a single deep + 2 mediums

Here's the tray I made

IMG_1765.JPG

Nice looking machine job!! I did my home hives this am also as the temps were in mid 40's so I caught all bees in the hive. Lasat I treated was back in late Oct/early Nov. treated 3 times 5 days apart. Only had a few mites in bottom oil tray after changing mineral oil out last week. That's it now till right before the supers go on early april. I weigh out 2g per hive.
    When there is no wind as it was this AM the vapors are stout if you get a snoot full. I heat for 3min on each and then wait 7-10 minutes before the rags come off. All my hives have SHB oil trays with screens and solid wood bottom boards to hold the trays. Makes it easy to go in back and treat.
    Hopefully the mite counts are low for a few months.
    Easiest and best way so far to treat for mites.

Thanks, I have a CNC so it made this very simple. Going to crank out a few more for some friends since the design works. Also maybe go a little bit narrower on the tray for faster heating. Total material cost was around $15 including $10 glow plug.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksbees View Post
    What dosage are you guys using? I used 2 grams for a single deep + 2 mediums
    Nice Job! The recommended dosage is one gram per brood chamber be it a single or medium.........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver