Default Never wet for beetles

Hi : I order some of the never wet product and followed the instructions and it came out with a mealy like finish.I thought it would be very slick but it didn't turn out that way any ideas?I cleaned it and wiped it with a clean cloth and the sprayed the first coat waited about 45 minutes and applied the second coat.I wonder if it should be slick or mealy finish?Thanks,Bill

Default Re: Never wet for beetles

If you contact the OP of this thread you will get some help.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...nsive-and-easy

Blacksheep,

Your doing it correctly, it dries to a dull finish.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffne...ature=youtu.be

It is an interesting finish but it is the correct finish. I thought, like you, that is would be slick. I built those strips for all five of my hives. The wife and I did a full inspection on all five hives last Saturday and we didn't see one SHB. In all prior inspections we saw and killed many SHB. Perhaps it is too soon for the boogers to start infiltrating the hives. No idea. I just know there are no SHB in the hives since I made and installed the strips. Keeping fingers crossed.

Farmercal, hey neighbor! I purchased some never wet, planned on building some new bottom boards this weekend to try it out. Have you seen any new mated queens in our area yet?

Hi Farmercal,
    The Bee Community needs to hear from more people like you that have used the Neverwet coated flanges and the effect it has on Small Hives Beetles. There are still a lot of skeptics out there about this sooooo simple process.

Anyone figured out what to do if you have a notched inner cover? Can't never wet that.....
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

rj has instructions in one of his video about using screen.
    Starting April Fools Day. The plan, to be TF and foundationless.

Quote Originally Posted by B52EW View Post
    Farmercal, hey neighbor! I purchased some never wet, planned on building some new bottom boards this weekend to try it out. Have you seen any new mated queens in our area yet?
    Hey B52EW, I haven't seen any yet, but I have seen plenty of drones in the hives. We found the beginnings of a queen cell last Saturday and are checking that hive this Saturday to see if a split is necessary. Since it is a double deep, splitting shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rjwil24600 View Post
    Hi Farmercal,
    The Bee Community needs to hear from more people like you that have used the Neverwet coated flanges and the effect it has on Small Hives Beetles. There are still a lot of skeptics out there about this sooooo simple process.
    Rjwill24600, last year, my wife and were sick and tired of finding SHB in the hives over and over again. When I saw the youtube video and listened to the explanation of how it works, I figured it was worth a try. As I already said, it is still early but so far no SHB to be found. I also do something else different than most people. I use screened bottom boards but also have another aluminum screened bottom board under that. The type of screen for a window screen. My thinking was if a SHB were to lay and hatch larvae and they fell through the SBB, they would be trapped by the second smaller SBB and never get to the ground to become a beetle. It also keeps bees from trying to build comb on the bottom of the first SBB. Overkill? Perhaps, but I will keep doing business my way until I find a reason to stop. I also put three shims on that small SBB so I can slide a piece of cardboard under it during OAV treatments.