Default bee disease diagnosis key

Hi all:
    Below is a link to a disease/problem/pest key I've been working on. The goal is to provide simple questions to beginning beekeepers that will ultimately point them in the right direction towards a diagnosis of whatever is wrong (assuming it's a common problem). This is the first iteration, and I'm posting it here in order to get some critical input from both experienced beekeepers as well as novices as for it's usefulness. If it ends up being useful, I'll re-hone it & put it somewhere more official than a google blog space. If it's not useful at all I'll erase the whole thing & we'll all pretend it never happened

http://hivehealth.blogspot.com/

you can leave input in the website comments, private message me, or in this thread.

Thanks!
    -Aaron Mullins

Default Re: bee disease diagnosis key

Not a bad idea at all. You might want to put some reference branches about 'brood pattern / laying pattern' issues - those seem to be frequent 'is this normal' type questions too.

Very nicely done. I like it.

Excellent project!

Good idea! Now just make it mandatory for all new beeks.

Thanks for the input cgybees. It's kind of hard for me to look at brood pictures through the eyes of a newbie, I'll try to figure out a way to get better contrast of good vs. bad brood patterns in there.

By the way: some of the photos are pretty bad, If anyone has better high-res photos of the conditions in the key, feel free to send them my way. I give photo credits to every picture/video in there.

I like the work that you've put in to this. I followed a couple of key diagnosis branches to a helpful diagnosis. If appropriate, an additional helpful feature may be to add 'branches' to the key indicating that what the beekeeper is seeing is not necessarily a problem. if all of the key branches end up with a disease diagnosis the new beekeeper may end up diagnosing a problem when there isn't one. I'm also a new beekeeper and I'm surprised at my tendency to suspect everything as clues to a potential problem when actually everything is 'normal' just a little different from some normal photos that I've viewed.

Terrific ...... I've bookmarked it!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by drdroege View Post
    I like the work that you've put in to this. I followed a couple of key diagnosis branches to a helpful diagnosis. If appropriate, an additional helpful feature may be to add 'branches' to the key indicating that what the beekeeper is seeing is not necessarily a problem. if all of the key branches end up with a disease diagnosis the new beekeeper may end up diagnosing a problem when there isn't one. I'm also a new beekeeper and I'm surprised at my tendency to suspect everything as clues to a potential problem when actually everything is 'normal' just a little different from some normal photos that I've viewed.

This is an excellent idea.. along with some 'normal bee-haviour' type things ... orientation flights... forager dances... cleaning behaviour... normal guard bee behaviour.. robbing behaviour... to differentiate the normal ones new bee-keepers may not have seen from 'problem' behaviours.

That's great input, thanks cgybees & drdroege. I'll be sitting down with the decision tree & see where I can have additional branches & maybe put more comparison pics in the couplets.

This is an awesome idea!
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 5H OAV