Default Biggest hornets I've ever seen!!

I could use some help!! Every morning I let my dogs outside, and it's still dark (4am). The last week or so, every single morning, one or two ENORMOUS hornets (from mandible to stinger, at least 2" long) are attracted to the light, and buzz around. The dogs are scared to death, and I am too!! One got in the house, and stung me. I got dizzy, sweaty, but did not have any other symptoms. I had my Epi pen, just in case. I've never seen hornets so big, and I have no idea where they are coming from. I've never seen them during the day. We have looked all over the house, don't seen any nests.

Has anyone had any experience with these kind of hornets? They don't seem to be bothering my bees. I'm in NE Ohio, we are in a dearth right now. Where would they be nesting? I'm concerned for my dogs, and me!!

Thanks everyone!!

Default Re: Biggest hornets I've ever seen!!

Quote Originally Posted by ubiewan View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with these kind of hornets? They don't seem to be bothering my bees. I'm in NE Ohio, we are in a dearth right now. Where would they be nesting? I'm concerned for my dogs, and me!!
    Thanks everyone!!
    Are you sure it was a hornet and not an Eastern cicada hunter wasp. they look like hornets. but I don't think they sting. Check this out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

The cicada killers seem to like rock walls, next to driveways and under my cedar trees as nesting sites. I've been buzzed. I've never been stung. They are not aggressive in that sense, though I wouldn't take chances by not backing off when buzzed... they can sting, and apparently you discovered that. If they are a problem (and apparently they are for you) follow them back to the nest and take care of it there.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

The link you sent seems to be what are flying around... But they are aggressive, buzzing the dogs, and the stings HURT! Not sure how to go about getting rid of them, as we are on 3 acres, and have a school yard on the other side, lots of land. If they are in the ground, no way I'm going to find them.

And Michael, I have no problem being in the midst of my lovely honey bees without a veil, no bee suit, working them with confidence. But one of those cicada killers?! When one got in my kitchen, I had my bee suit, veil, gloves, 2 pairs of pants and my socks taped to my shoes. I had a flyswatter, and beat that thing to death, 3 times, just to be sure. Go figure...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

Big Grin Re: Biggest hornets I've ever seen!!

Quote Originally Posted by ubiewan View Post
    I had a flyswatter, and beat that thing to death, 3 times, just to be sure.
    It died 3 times? Must be tough to kill.

>If they are in the ground, no way I'm going to find them.

The hole is large enough for them, so it is noticeable and it's usually somewhere protected from rain going into the hole (in the side of a rock wall or under a tree). Watch them fly and you'll see them return to their lair. Put on a bees suit and spray them with soapy water.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF