Default Wise To Do Sugar Roll At Install?

I should be getting my 2 overwintered nucs in a couple weeks. I am wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to do a sugar roll to determine mite level when I install the nucs into my hives. On the good side of the equation, I would get a baseline on mite level and be able to not disturb the hive for a while to let them settle in and do their work. On the other side, I am brand new to this and have never handled bees before and they may be understandably in a bad mood after a 70 minute car ride. Is this a good or bad idea? Should I make my decision after I see what their temperament is like? Thanks, J

Default Re: Wise To Do Sugar Roll At Install?

I would do it a week or so later after they are well oriented and settled in.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

The very most important thing to accomplish when installing packages or nucs is to get them to settle in, accept the hive, and stay.

The best tip I can give you get accomplish that is to get them in and then leave them alone! We keep seeing all sorts to "new ways to install bees" such as leaving the package box inside the hive, which has to get removed later, instructions to go back in after three days to check the queen, and all sorts of other unnecessary gobbledeegook.

There was a post some time ago by Harry Vanderpool that is arguably them best piece of advice I have ever seen on getting bees (queens) into hives. You can read his advice by clicking here.
    Last edited by Agis Apiaries; 04-20-2016 at 07:41 AM.
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

If you are getting your nucs from a reputable source, they should have only a very low-level of mites at the time of sale, particularly at this time of year when populations in well-run apiaries are naturally low anyway.

Doing a sugar roll is not hard - you can learn how from watching youTubes and reading printed instructions. But it does take some bee-familiarity and bee-skills to do well, so right now it's best left to either an expert (if there was some reason to believe it was needed urgently) or done later by you when your nuc is well established and built-up and can withstand the exposure and fumbling that a sugar-roll learner almost always needs to get through.

If you are concerned about mites (beyond the level of just routine good husbandry) I'd start by using sticky boards on a weekly basis. Far from being meaningless (as some incorrectly state) regular, weekly, sticky board readings provide excellent information, particularly at this time of year with a new nuc when the population is small (of both bees and mites) and growing.

Just install your bees and let them settle in - you will have more success that way.

Enj.

Thank You everyone. Enjambres, getting them from Betterbee and I consider them to be a reputable source. I will leave them "bee" for a while, then do my testing. J