Default treating for mites when cold

I have seen a couple mites in a hive and have some mite away quick strips but the weather here in New Hampshire has taken a turn very quickly and it is down into the 30's at night (daytime temps are fine). I would like to treat the hives using just one strip but the directions say must be between 50-80 and it is definitely below that at night. Has anyone used the quick strips where it has gotten colder than the recommendations in the instructions? I am not even looking to kill the percentages they say they kill but really just to reduce the mite load. I would much appreciate some insight as to whether or not I can still treat or not.
    thanks
    S

Default Re: treating for mites when cold

The instructions say daytime temperatures should be between 50 and 92 degrees.
    Also indicates that the active ingredient dissipates after 3 days.
    So if you can see 3 days with daytime high temps between 50 and 92 you may consider putting a strip in the hives.

http://www.dadant.com/wp-content/upl...onsDadant2.pdf
    Just some thoughts.

I think I can get three days of daytime temps between 50 and 90 what I can't get is nightime temps between that range so perhaps I could put it in midweek. Todays temps were in the low fifties and it is supposed to get to be 60's mid week so that might work as long as I dont need that for the night time highs

With the temperatures being definitely to the low end of recommended I wonder if giving only half the dose (1 strip instead of 2) is a good idea or not.
    Frank

Using one or two strips is a personal choice.
    Shalva is looking at 60's by mid week which is in the normal operating temp for MAQS.
    I would use one strip but that would be my personal choice.

On top of that using two strips has caused some queen issues for some users. If that happens this time of the year it may be difficult to recover.
    Just some thoughts.