Thread: ants and mites

Default ants and mites

So I put in a grease/sugar patty with probably not enough grease in it, then had too many visiting little black ants. I started using a syrup spray "smoker" with lemongrass and spearmint oil in it. I sprayed some on that patty and all the ants left > I was messing around for quite a while and they never came back. I tried cinnamon but it just blows away. I also saw lots of dead mites on the bottom so it seems the powdered sugar treatment might turn the tide of the mite war. I am new, just a month or so into this. Anyway, it seems like they are recovering from the bad storm incident, reattached the comb I tied up except also burred to the walls one one side and I had to cut and clean up some, then dusted them again. Now I am going to leave em alone until next week.

Does anybody else use the grease patty in top bar hive? Has it seemed to help? I am wondering if it is just more trouble if it attracts other bugs or if I just used the wrong thing. The recipe I found said vegetable oil + sugar. Anyway I will search through more posts here. :P Hopefully they stay out. I saw some other things like vaseline on the hive legs so will try that too. Also, I probably shouldn't plan on harvesting any honey this year right (?)

Default Re: ants and mites

crisco & sugar

I set a jar with sugar water and Boric acid mix on the ant trail, after punching small holes in the lid. This will attract the ants away from the hive and slowly destroy their colony. Works on Crazy ants. The ants going after dead bees around the hive will want peanut butter sugar and boric acid. Ants have been a big problem for me when feeding the bees. Once they find a food source they are hard to drive away.

I found this formula on someones site here
    4.4 pounds (1814.4g)of granulated sugar (sucrose)
    3 ounces of corn oil
    1.5 pounds vegetable shortening (Crisco)
    1 pound honey
    1/2 pound mineral salt (pink color) approx ( $7-$* for 50# from feed stores )
    2.2 ounces wintergreen oil.

One batch will treat about 8-10 hives, depending on number of brood chambers, size of patties etc. We place small patties (about 2 oz. each) on top of each brood chamber and 1/2 roll across the entrance about 3/4" back in or the rain will wash it away.

I haven't tried this yet I'm still getting the ingredients together. I wish I could remember who i got it from so I could give them credit for it.

I am very new at this, and have no experience with mite treatment other than trying to powder sugar dust the bees during my first inspection last week.

However, I did have small ants make a trail up one of my hive's legs and try to start a colony. They were piling up eggs, etc. on top of one of my chopped & cropped nuc bars. I put a "bead" of bearing grease around each leg about 2-3 inches up from the ground. I also had to remove the hive's roof and brush away any ants stuck above the grease barrier as they kept gathering atop the bars trying to get their colony started. But it's been 4-5 days since I've seen any ants now.

Good luck.

Thanks all. They are staying out with the vaseline blockade but it is melting so I am going to try bearing grease too.

I had a lot of ants getting into my hive as well.... I kept my solution simple. I bought a pack of 6 ant hotels (the little traps with poison). I place one under the corner of each of my hive legs and two on top of the bars. I haven't had any issues since....