Thread: Mite count

Default Mite count

Whats a good/bad mite count to have at this time of year for a normal colony in a 24 hour period

Default Re: Mite count

That's a tough question. Depends a lot on the colony size, the method of testing, etc. Why not do a drop count and then start a test program that monitors the rise or fall of the counts. That being said, you'll see a fair amount of info that will say 50 or 60 mites in a 24 hour period is a treatment threshold. Our experience and yours may vary. I'd take it with a grain of salt and just test for yourself, get a handle on what your colony looks like and take it from there. Post your results if that helps!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Default Re: Mite count

Here in the South 50-60 as Ravenseye mention is what the University of Fl. calls the economic threshold. Anything over 60 and it is going to start hurting the hives production. That is the point in which you would want to treat. Below 60 and you are spending money on expensive treatments that are not required yet. Up North your threshold my be a little lower. Check with a Northern University and see if they have different numbers.

The ether roll or sugar shake method is faster and you get the results while you are still in the bee yard. When you test that way 17 mites is the magic number. What you are trying to do is get the best bang for your buck. Don't treat just to treat but, treat when you have to. This is the part of IPM that a lot of people don't quite understand.