Thread: queen cell tips

Default queen cell tips

I know that the bees thin down the ends of the queen cells before they hatch, but when do they do it, a few hours, a day or two? I need to know because I want to cut out some cells for mating nucs but I didn't keep track of how old the cells are, don't ask me why, I just know that it is getting real close. John

Default Re: queen cell tips

They start about three days before they emerge and by two days before they are pretty much down to the cocoon.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

John, if it is any help. It is safer in the big scheme of things to move them carefully a little too soon rather than a little too late and risk losing them all but one.

I just thought that by looking at the tips of the cells you could tell when it was time to remove them, but I can see where that may not always be a good indicator, and I sure wouldn't want to lose a batch of cells. Thanks. John

I move cells to an incubator right after they are capped, I have hatch many in the incubator so to have the cells thinned down has little effect on the queen trying to get out. Just like Adrian said, be carefull when you move them and sooner is better than later, if just one makes it out before you move them she can kill the rest.