Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How many bees?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Roland 
#1 ·
Was wondering....how many bees would there be in a 3lb package versus a nuc.....i just want a rough estimate...lol ...not an exact count...lol...ok

#2 ·
A 3lb package should have 10,000 to 12,000 bees. A nuc could have more or less. The important thing to remember is a nuc has an accpeted laying queen, brood in all stages, nurse bees, foraging bees, pollen and honey. It's a complete operating hive on a small scale-a nucleus. A 3lb package is just that, with a mated queen added for good luck! lol.

#6 ·
The important thing to remember is a nuc has an accpeted laying queen, brood in all stages, nurse bees, foraging bees, pollen and honey. It's a complete operating hive on a small scale-a nucleus. A 3lb package is just that, with a mated queen added for good luck! lol.
Some people sell "packages" thrown into a Nuc box and call it a "Nuc" when it is not.
A Nuc is what you have described in your first sentences.
Before you buy get a clear understanding how long that Queen has bee liveing in on those nuc frames with those bees!

#7 ·
This is so right,,as with so many things make sure you know what you are buying anything. Know who you are buying from. I bought three nucs from Jason Chessy this spring and they were heavy. When I got home with them I inspected the Nucs after three days. I did find one bad queen and Jason replaced her right away.
I have bought packages before and decided on trying Nucs this year, I will never buy a package again.

#8 ·
Three pounds of bees is a pretty exact measure, whereas nucs can vary in how many bees there are in them. So, answering your question has it's difficultys. There could be three pounds of adult bees and just as many bees under the cappings in various stages of growth from egg to emerging adult.

Given the choice, I'd rather have a weak nuc than a package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.