Default Cutout from Sunday with my cousin

Did a cutout with my cousin Shane this past Sunday. I say I did a cutout, but Shane did the real work, I just helped pulling part of the roof, peeling flashing off, and put the comb in the frames. The bees had gotten in the floor joist between the second and third floors of an small apartment building. They were pretty far in there. Shane is lanky, around 6 foot 4, and he was up to his armpits pulling out the comb. I thought the bees were fairly docile, but we did have one spectator get stung, the gentleman who called Shane, and Shane got stung once on the hand when he wasn't wearing his gloves. It was all new comb, maybe a month or six weeks old (very soft) with a little honey but a decent amount of brood in all stages from eggs to capped over (no drone brood yet though). We left it overnight since there was a large swarm ball still in the cavity left behind, we don't have a bee vac (next on the list!). They were pretty upset on Monday morning, but by the evening they had moved into the nuc, a 5 frame deep with a medium on top with most of the frames having some comb on it. They seem happy enough in the nuc.

When my cousin got up on the scaffolding to remove the nuc he was greeted by the a potential new resident!
    Raccoon-shane.jpg

He was twenty feet in the air on the scafolding and the raccoon didn't seem too interested in leaving, so they had a bit of a standoff for a while before the raccoon backed off enough from my cousin to bring the nuc down.

On the plus side we think the hive is going to survive. This initial plan is to leave them in the nuc, add another super if necessary and let them overwinter in the super. I hope they make it, these bees look different than most of his bees so he will end up with some bio-diversity in his apiary.

Default Re: Cutout from Sunday with my cousin

Wish the picture had been better. My right hand had an 18V Flashlight so I had to take the picture with my left hand. I was fearful off dropping my phone from two+ stories up.

Shannon really helped on this cutout. It would have been so much harder without his help. Very thankful for Shannon's help.

Shane
    Last edited by tsmullins; 06-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Default Re: Cutout from Sunday with my cousin

You should get your new phone from Brushy Mountain. My smoker survived the fall from that height.