Thread: Install Queens

Default Install Queens

So this may sound like a stupid question, but how does everybody install queens that they have made? I suppose it depends on how you mate them. If you using a small mating nuc do you just put the queen in a cage or combine the mating nuc with the hive? If you are using a full sized nuc do you combine or use a cage? I'm a hobby keeper who hopes to keep around 10 hives and rear queens for splits and requeening. I have read a bit about queen rearing and want to give it a go next year, but haven't found a procedure on installing the queens.

Default Re: Install Queens

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    So this may sound like a stupid question, but how does everybody install queens that they have made? I suppose it depends on how you mate them. If you using a small mating nuc do you just put the queen in a cage or combine the mating nuc with the hive? If you are using a full sized nuc do you combine or use a cage? I'm a hobby keeper who hopes to keep around 10 hives and rear queens for splits and requeening. I have read a bit about queen rearing and want to give it a go next year, but haven't found a procedure on installing the queens.
    I always use a queen cage on a bare install (just queen) use one you have laying around and stuff it with a marshmellow. If its a combine with a full frame, I put the new queen with her brood up against the hive wall away from the main body of bees, that will give her some time to get noticed.

So I can put a couple of combs into a queenless hive and they will accept the queen?

usually not a problem, keep them to the outside so it takes a while for them to get right to her. Her phermones are transmited bee to bee. so those areound her will infect the hive and let them know they are queenright pretty fast. If you only have one queen I personaly would cage her for a day or so on top of it, just in case...

Make your queenless splits up in the morning. Then add the queen cell in the afternoon. Then there is no need to worry about introducing the queen. When I need to move a mated queen I use the regular queen cages with candy in the end.

I am looking to easily build a queen cage or two. I have plenty of scrap lumber laying around.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/queencages.html

The top one is something I'd like to do. I can easily drill four holes and put some mesh over it. My question is on the type of mesh. I have some nonmental window screen laying around or #8 mesh. I used the #8 mesh for the bottom of my TBHs, but it seems to let some bees through. So I am a bit hesitant to use that. Is the screen ok? I assume that bees may chew through it, but how long would it take? If it would take days then I wouldn't worry about it. It would just need to be replaced. Another idea is to just double up the #8 stuff and offset it. Thoughts?