Hybrid View

Default Anyone have a link for a video of robbing?

I would like to see what robbing looks like to find out if robbing is going on at one of my hives. I looked on this site and youtube but did not find any that were a 100% robbing video. Thanks, juzzerbee.

Default Re: Anyone have a link for a video of robbing?

Here you go, I've had it happen and it looks exactly like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Cy-XQBkKk
    I started out as an opportunistic beekeeper. Now the bees keep me...

I cant tell the difference between that and orientation flights.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

That video doesn't look like robbing to me... Looks like orientation flights.

There would be fighting at the entrance if there was robbing going on. Plus the bees in that video look like they are all coming in and facing the hive, very few leaving the hive...
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

Here's another video, this one shows the robbers after the owner has wrapped the hive (which is what I had to do last year).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya-l2ZShvcw

Ok, the difference between orientation flights and robbing (in my experience, YMMV) are these points:

Robbing: you will see fighting at the entrance, usually. Not if there aren't enough bees to fend off the hive though! The robber bees are usually battle scarred, in that much of the hair on their thorax is gone. They don't seem to land right on the landing board, they hover and do and wide back and forth for a bit and I have also observed them landing on the front of the hive and crawling down towards the entrance, kind of like a sneak attack. They test defenses and find all entrances. There is a lot of buzzing, and it has a weird pitch. Everything looks very disorganized and frantic. Bees going into every entrance, like they are on a mission.

Orientation flights: (again, my observations with my hives!) the bees tend to crawl up the front of the hive before taking off. They zigzag around for a bit, then come back, hovering a bit and landing, then repeating the climbing up and testing the air. They are also somewhat clumsy, but hey, they've never done this before. It still has a look of order, at least to me, unlike the pure craziness of robbing. My hives are also pretty darn quiet while doing orientation flights.

I still have problems telling if robbing is going on. I think the buzzing is a great indicator. And hanging out at the back. Sniffing all over the hive.

Cut your entrance down to one bee and watch. Maybe the change in behavior will help you identify, but err on the side of caution. If you reduce and it's not robbing, you've just created a traffic jam. If it is, the inside fighting can cost you your queen.

Ive had some luck with mentholatum near the entrance - confuses robbers.

For a new nuc I had set up this spring, I ended up closing the entrance completely. Fortunately not so hot to worry about ventilation at that time but I did add a small tray of water on the inner board. I closed off till morning. Opened it up to see if it started again; it did. Closed it again. I think it took 2 or 3 days to get them stopped. I kept the entrance at one bee for a good while (stuffed it with straw). I never was really certain it was robbing by looking at the flying patterns but the intensity sure was all wrong.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment