Thread: Mold!

Hybrid View

Default Mold!

chest.jpg
    I have mold on the back wall of my TBHs, and on some of the yet unused bars. I live in Southern California, and it's usually very dry during the day but we're having foggy nights and mornings right now (our June Gloom.) I made the TBHs from old toy chests I bought and the lids do not fit tightly, allowing for some top ventilation. The entrances are three 1" holes I drilled in the front toward the bottom of the space. The bottom of the hives are sealed. I do not use follower boards.

So, too much ventilation or not enough?? What's the best way to reduce this condensation/dampness in our very dry climate??

Default Re: Mold!

If you have mold then not enough. You can place coffee stir sticks under your cover to make a little gap for more ventilation.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

If you have the usual top bars without gaps between them, I doubt ventilating the top above them will do anything. It certainly didn't in my climate (new england USA). My KTBH hive in a shady spot was soaking wet every morning after cool nights, developing mold within a week or two of starting it. l tried making 1/4" grooves in the underside of every 3rd or 4th bar to vent out the side under the overhanging cover, but it had no noticeable effect. The horizontal design with comb acting as baffles was very effective at retaining moisture. Humidity was over 90% most of the time, even in the expansion area away from the comb. If I tried it again I'd start with some sort of absorbent structure such as a Warre quilt above gapped bars, and be very thoughtful about positioning the hive. You might try lots of screened vents on the upper sides, or just let it go and hope things get better. My moldy TBH did survive one northern winter with intensive attention.

Edit- I could reduce moisture by opening a screened bottom running the length, which basically made the climate inside the same as outside. Above was with bottom closed or only cracked open maybe 1/2" along the length.

awesome! thank you

As I thought, I will try more ventilation. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    If you have mold then not enough. You can place coffee stir sticks under your cover to make a little gap for more ventilation.