Default Bees in Trap: How Long Do you Leave Them?

I just caught bees for the first time in one of my swarm traps on Saturday afternoon. (I Just happened to be standing there when the swarm arrived - it was awesome). I was going to remove them right away, but worried they'd abscond, and I really don't have a lot of brood comb to donate to them in order to keep them in a hive. So I elected to leave them there, and added another trap nearby in case other colonies had been interested in the trap.

The traps are frame boxes with 9 narrrow frames - 8 foundationless, and one full of brood comb set against a side wall.

My question:

How long do you leave your traps with new swarms before you move them to a permanent location? And do you feed once you move them?

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: Bees in Trap: How Long Do you Leave Them?

I like to leave mine a few days, to give the queen a chance to lay a few eggs. Then transfer them into a good box. A swarm goes right to work, cleaning, building comb, and then the queen laying. Five to seven days .,

Normally, by the time I find them, the queen is already laying, I rarely move them in the swarm trap, I transfer them into good equipment, then move them a day or two later. I use old 10 framers for traps.

I set a feeder on them after moving, and see how they take it. Feeding will help with the comb building, but swarms will find nectar if anything is blooming, and abandon your feeding. You will be able to tell in a day or so.

cchoganjr

I have left a few in the traps for a month, I did open to inspect and add more frames, as long as they have room to build you should be fine. And they donít build a lot of cross comb.
    A big swarm will need more room sooner.

FlowerPlanter..... The reason I like to move them as soon as possible is, certain places just seem to attract swarms better. The same spot will very often catch more than one swarm, even tho there are other traps just yards away.

cchoganjr

The one time I use foundationless in a trap, all the combs collapsed when moved. I trap as many as possible in their permanent location and in the past did not feed the prime early ones. Here June is late for a swarm and I see that those small late ones have been unable to accumulate stores like the early ones that had substantial stored honey immediately.

How long did you leave them in there, Rick?

Adam

I let them alone for a week. Not that, that is a formula. just cause where they were and my schedule You are way up north from me,,,wow geographic skills, whod a thought,,,,sorry,, Makes a diff if early or late swarm. Most of the "swarmdudes" seem to agree w/o an addition of brood frame, wait till pollen is coming in. IMHO, I do not think that a hard fast rule. BUt, who wants to play with a prize such as you have. Error on the side of caution.
    I only transfered them to a lang set up. No location change but I do not think that would have been an issue.
    I guess the line is this, let them settle as long as you can, when pollen is really coming in, take a peek. Eggs, you are good to go.
    Hope that helps.
    BTW you are an addict now