Default can african bees be in va already

i cought a wild swarm in april it was a small swarm but building up fast i was gona put a super on them tonight but desided to wait i didn't even open the box just layed my hand on it they completly covered me up from head to toe and just kept on comeing............ i've had ill bees before but never any thing this bad has anybody else had any this mean mefore

Default Re: can african bees be in va already

It is not likely, unless you caught a swarm from a hive that had an africanized queen.

Here is the USDA's Africanized Bee Map and the year they were discovered (last update 2011):
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=11059&page=6

If you truly are concerned and want proof you can send your bees to one of the bee labs.
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

Call your bee inspector and he will get a sample to the lab for you for results.

If the AHB Map link above doesn't work for you, try this one:
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2007/0....1500x1130.jpg
    The map is that same as the link in post #2, its just the large size version. This link works because it a .JPG, rather than a search function.

Note that the map in the original link has a small note saying "Data reflects only state official designations of counties as Africanized." So that means AHB bees can be further than what the map indicates, particularly if there aren't yet enough of them to designate the entire county as Africanized.

Its very telling to see that some AHB areas are surrounded by non-AHB areas (according to the map). Perhaps they simply aren't officially reported yet.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 06-18-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Yeah, Graham your right it's weird, the link won't take you to the page... Copy and past it into a browser and it works though... I have shared numerous times as a link before, hmmm.

Oh well if pasting the link doesn't agree with anyone, it can also be found by putting "africanized bee map" in a google search.
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

Either way get the hive requeened. Whether they are Africanized or not, bees that hot should be requeened. What happens next time youi walk by the hive without your veil no to mention the potential for drones to mate.
    Beekeeping: "Know the Rules and Learn the Art"

Quote Originally Posted by vabeeman View Post
    i cought a wild swarm in april it was a small swarm but building up fast i was gona put a super on them tonight
    Sounds like you have checked them before, since they had built up fast and you were ready to super them. If you had checked them before, were they always this defensive? There may be some other factor for them to be so defensive. Are they getting robbed? Maybe a skunk has been praying on them (I went to move a cutout last night, and came face to face with a raccoon while on the third story of some scaffolding)? Once, my grandfather wore some aftershave while checking a normally docile hive, they rolled out and popped him a 100 times. Next day they were as nice as ever. There may be a reason they are so defensive.

Shane

It is possible, not likely but possible. I used to live in the TN TRI cities area, they found thier way to knoxville just one case though.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

yea i've been in them a few times to see how they were doing they was a little ill but smoke would calm them but nothing worked monday evening gona requeen them.these bees could hurt somebody .i had them on a buddys place he said he could ride his 4wheeler by them about 30 feet away and the front of the box would turn yellow bees boileing out.........

Absolutely contact our state apiarist. Nothing is impossible. We have great support in the state, so don't hesitate to contact them.

If you believe there are only Africans in those areas on that map then I've got a couple of nice bridges to sell you. I believe there are full and percentage bees throughout this country. Nothing has kept these guys from shipping queens or hauling hives from florida, south texas, new mexico, california, arizona and who knows where else for over two decades to say the least.... sorry just my opinion. My wife received 20 stings the other day with the weedeater next day I went down and made clear to them if they acted up again they'd be history...every time I'm in that calm as can be..... many factors involved in why they are hot I've even done splits and changed the whole temperment of a hive.... just requeen to be safe
    Last edited by oklabizznessman; 07-11-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling