Thread: Full Combs

Default Full Combs

Does anyone sell full complete honey bee combs? I've tried calling around but no one seems to have any (apparently I was the first to ask).

Default Re: Full Combs

You might be able to find some from a keeper in your local area. I've never seen them advertised anywhere.

I'm new to bee keeping, but my understanding is that it takes energy for bees to make full combs, that's energy that they could be spending to make honey otherwise. Would people even buy them if someone was selling them, or is it preferable to have bees make their own combs?

If you buy it from someone else, you don't really know what you are getting, i.e., did the keeper use lots of miticides or other treatments in the hive where the comb originated, did the hive have some other disease which will now be transferred to your hive, etc.

That being said, a nuc comes with drawn comb and whatever problems or contaminants, etc, that the supplier has.

It is preferable, IMO, to have the bees build their own comb.

Hypothetically, if I could find a trusted bee keeper that could guarantee that their comb didn't have any mites and didn't use pesticides that could provide me with about 8 drawn combs should I go for it or is it still best to let my new bees make their own comb?

Also, about how long does it take to have a new colony make a new 8x9x12 comb?

Hey NasalSponge, great link! My understanding is that that some bees don't like plastic frames, or that they have to still spend energy turning the super cells into drawn combs. Is that correct?

If you really need the comb to keep your hive going, I would say go for it, although I doubt anyone can guarantee their comb didn't have any mites on it.

Second question depends on a lot of factors....someone more local could probably give you a range...

Good luck!

I'm not the most knowledgeable on mites, but I guess if the comb is empty, there shouldn't be mites, as they are usually on the bees, not attached to the comb. Not completely sure on that, though.

Your understanding is correct but I thought I would throw it out there as an option. Also keep in mind building comb is what bees do. It takes energy but that is what they do, just like we expend energy each day to go to work or take care of our homes?
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries