Thread: Laying Workers

Hybrid View

Default Laying Workers

Have not seen this posted....

Can you have laying workers AFTER they emerge from the covered cell comb? IE, they were not feed more royal jelly until after all eggs and broad matured?

Thank you,
    Jim

Default Re: Laying Workers

I'm not sure I know what you're asking, but laying workers arise from regular workers, they are not fed or raised to be layers. When queen and/or brood pheromones are absent for long periods some workers may develop the capacity to lay unfertilized (drone) eggs. So, yes, you get laying workers after they have emerged from the cell . . . and never before.
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"

Thank you Rusty....that is what I was asking. Thought they might have to be in some development stage vs fully matured and then changed to a laying worker. Did not think that would be possible, as they are already fully grown.

Jim

after 21 days or so of no queen or brood phermones the workers overies fully develop and they begin laying eggs.

Have you ever seen a case where that did NOT happen and they just waste away?

I am a new beek, but either way without a queen, or eggs from a queen the hive will wither because only drones come from laying worker eggs. Perhaps they have a pest or disease? Mark