Hybrid View

Default Need advice about getting bee in my hive!

I have an established colony of bees in my water meter cover and have purchased a 10 frame hive to house them. I'm try to lure them with pheromones and feeding before I have to manually transfer them. Has anybody tried this? Is this plossible, or do I need to put on my suit and fire up my smoker?

Default Re: Need advice about getting bee in my hive!

Have you considered placing the hive as close as possible to the meter box, catch the queen in a queen catcher, release her in the box and many may follow her there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Wilson View Post
    I have an established colony of bees in my water meter cover ....
    If the water meter bees have built comb, then they likely also have brood. Its very unlikely that you will be able to "lure" them out of the water meter. The best you could do with a lure and nearby empty hive is to catch a possible swarm from the parent hive in the meter box. But that might take much longer than the meter reader is willing to wait!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hmm..I'm fairly new at this and never heard of a queen catcher but that sound like an option!

Rader..yea I think the bees have been there a while. They were pretty active when I put out the hive and saw several bees that I thought to be large than normal. My guess is that they are drones. Thanks for the info. Any advice is helpful :-)

You have to actually find the queen to use one of these but if you are steady handed they work quite well. I've seen my mentor catch a queen in less than a second.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/341/
    The neatest queen catcher I have seen is a glass tube configuration but I believe they are only sold in Canada and can be quite delicate if dropped.

are you shure they are honey bees?

its my understanding that its rare for honey bees to choose to live underground. They would much prefer an above ground house.

I don't live in an AHB area… yet! But I believe you do. I’ve heard that honeybee swarms that take up residence in under ground voids, like water meter boxes tend to be AHB. Proceed with caution.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

If they are AHB, what would be the best way to proceed? They could be AHB but they showed no aggression or slight interest in me when I was working around them at close ranges of a few feet!

Suit up and fire up the smoker.Transfer the comb to your new frames.Get as many bees as possible in the new box along with the queen.keep the entrance to the box as close to the meter as possible.The rest will join the brood and queen.
    If they are AHB they will let you know soon enough.If you are suited up it won't be a big deal.
    Kill them at once.
    HINT...and I know I will get some flames for this one.A little tobacco in the smoker will help if the bees are "hot".The amount from one real tobacco cigarette is usually enough.Too much can kill them.

Cut them out and transfer to the hive. Rubber bands work well for tieing in comb. Just tie in brood comb, let them rob back the honey.
    Even AHB cab be requeened.

*UPDATE*
    Well I did a cut-out and I'm not sure how successful its going to turn out. I cut the brood out and tied it in the frames with rubber bands. I tried to do it as cleanly as possible but it being in the ground was a difficult task. I left the honey comb to rob layin on the meter cover and the meter open. My only concern is that I couldnt find the queen and I couldn't get most of the bees. Anymore advice or tips would be great!