For those who suffer with ants, I have received some great advice from a couple of San Diego beekeepers!!!
One person uses cinder blocks to raise their hives, and covers the blocks with Vasaline/petroleum jelly. He says it works great and is inexpensive. He has not had any problems since he has been using the Vasaline. He even uses it around his dog/cat dishes!
Another is Tanglefoot which is suppose to be safe in use around organic gardens, etc. The directions they gave were quite interesting, and a bit hard to follow, but I will post them here for you to see if you can figure it out....
"I use to use the motor oil in container barriers but was still troubled with the ridiculous amounts of bees drowning in it even though the containers were mostly hidden underneath the hive stand. So far I'm really pleased with this new method that others have mentioned in this group. I made a simple hive stand and used really long thick bolts to join the corners so the bolts became the legs of the stand. Then drilled a hole in a plastic end cap(used for pipes) and screwed that up against the underside of the stand of all 4 corners and there still is about an inch of screw sticking out. Inside the cap all around I put a lot of Tanglefoot until it was running down the screw leg and so far I haven't had to refill or had any problems since doing this at the beginning of the year."
Hopefully this helps some of you out there dealing with ants!!!