Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My home made extractor!

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow evening of the frame holder and seat in the bottom of the barrel. Ran out of time today because I actually got to hang out with my bees after work before I went to a mandatory pre-fair meeting for 4-H!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

And thanks everyone for the praises, this bee keeping stuff is fun and keeps the mind young!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Very creative, Well done!
    Coming from Maxant who makes honey processing equipment that is one heck of a compliment!

I couldn't agree more!!!

I just purchased a 12 frame radial and wish I had the creativity and talent to build such a fine piece of equipment. Very nice BeeGhost!
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks Honey Company View Post
    Coming from Maxant who makes honey processing equipment that is one heck of a compliment!

I couldn't agree more!!!

I just purchased a 12 frame radial and wish I had the creativity and talent to build such a fine piece of equipment. Very nice BeeGhost!
    Thanks OHC!! And yes, it was a very nice compliment from MAXANT, and if I ever decide to go pro, I will be buying nothing but a MAXANT!!

Infact my mother was going to buy me a Maxant extractor for a fathers day/birthday combo present, but I told her to hold off until next year, after I see how the honey sales are going to go after this season!! If things go good, i'll be expanding the apiary and running two extractors next year!!LOL
    Coyote Creek Bees

Here is where the spinner attaches to the bottom. It is a bearing that I picked up at Orchard Supply, got home and boiled it in a pot of hot water to remove any grease. After rinsing and repeating a few times until it didnt have any sort of grease residue I camcoated it as well. The wood holding it is a piece of pine which is camcoated as well and the bolts holding it in are SS.

I did the same to the top of the spinner frame. Heck, even the 2x4 is camcoated!! Oh ya, after loading the extractor I have two pieces of lexan to help keep the honey from splattering everywhere out of the tub. The top of the frame is a bolt welded to the tubing then extends through the 2x4/bearing and the treadmill pulley is bolted to it. The bottom pin goes through the bottom bearing and into a camcoated metal "cup". I dont remember what it is called, but I think it pushes onto bolts as a cap or something.
    Coyote Creek Bees

BG , what did you use for the drum? I have looked around and could not find anything similiar.

[QUOTE=BeeGhost;814552]Sorry, but I am very efficient and have the tools to work with! The welding was 3 hours, only because I was being very exact and not country boy welding!

Excuse Me!!!! I am a country boy and my welds hold and they are exact too. Same as my carpenter work, I just had to say that,,,I really like your extractor.

Mr. Ghost mon - Verrry Cool - I live up in Angels Camp....Charlie B helped me with an ant problem....Could you E me at: lcrtb101@gmail.com,
    I would pay to get a set of design plans for such an extractor as you have built - I see you move it about with a hand truck, excellent !
    See Ya ! Chris

I'm glad I'm not the only one to use a treadmill motor for my extractor. They have plenty of power and unlimited speed control. I motorized maxant and it works great. My next treadmill motor project will probably be a potters wheel.

[QUOTE=Ben Franklin;951413]
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    Sorry, but I am very efficient and have the tools to work with! The welding was 3 hours, only because I was being very exact and not country boy welding!

Excuse Me!!!! I am a country boy and my welds hold and they are exact too. Same as my carpenter work, I just had to say that,,,I really like your extractor.
    Ben - That quote was directed to folks like me. I use two types of welding. Gorilla welds and mud dobbler welds. Gorilla welds are just like gorillas, big, bullky, not really good looking and strong. Mud Dobbler welds resemble mud dobbler nests, big bulky, not really good looking and have no strength. Trying to figure out how to keep the two from looking so much alike.

Amazing project, a threadmill motor and controller. Time to start watching the garage sales. Pictuce of the extractor frames would be nice. Do they just slip in the center?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12