Default slatted racks: who makes the best?

I'm looking to add slatted racks to my hives....I would prefer to build them....anyone have a good plan for one (with racks running parallel with frames). Any commercial ones you really like? Any combo rack with screen bottom? Since I am going to probably build mine, I can do about anything, especially if it is an improvement to existing ones available. Is there an advantage to having them seperate?

Do they fit inside the bottom board or on top like another box? I've been trying to picture how they close off some of the front entrance I've read about.

Thanks, Jim

Thumbs Up Re: slatted racks: who makes the best?

Look here.

I would prefer to have the slats run parallel with the frames however
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: slatted racks: who makes the best?

They fit on top of the bottom board just like a box so the entrance is the same size. Rossman's 10 frame slatted rack comes fully assembled ready to paint and the slats run the same as the frames. I have purchased several items from Rossman and have been completely satisfied with their service and products.

Brushy mountain has an assemble yourself one. slats line up with the frames for mite drop, & its inexpensive. Might be a good place to start if you want to try & make you're own.
    Dan

I built some combination slatted rack / SBB's.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=MVI_8022.mp4

There are pictures of other member's slatted racks in this thread as well as a couple of interior photos of my "Contemporary Hive Stands" : http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...B-Slatted-rack
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Thank you...what a great idea. Is the screen in a metal frame so you can slide it in and out? Have you tried a tray with oil underneath the screen for a killing trap for shb? Jim

Most are just #8 screen that I've slid in and never removed again. I could improve the edges but haven't felt the need.
    BeeCurious

If you have an extra super, you could run it through your table saw a few inches from the top, and staple frame tops in the groove.

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Brushy mountain has an assemble yourself one. slats line up with the frames for mite drop, & its inexpensive. Might be a good place to start if you want to try & make you're own.
    I've had issues with Brushy Mountain's slatted rack. The corner joints leave very small "tabs" which easily break off in shipping (actually before they were shipped being as only one of the broken off tabs was found in the shrinkwrap. The fit also leaves some fairly large holes/spaces (shb?). BM responded quickly to my problem but the replacement had similar issues. The one from Rossman is (as has been stated) pre-assembled and seems to be solid...thirty-five cents difference between the two...both have slats parallel to the frames. If I purchase any more of them they will come from Rossman's.

Ed

As I have stated before, Rossman's slatted racks are excellent construction and a great product. You can't go wrong with theirs.

I have had the same problem with Brushy mnts does Rossman's carry 8 frames?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Yes, Rossman carries 8-frame racks.

Ed

I built 3 Como SBB last year and noticed the bees were inside instead of under and seemed to built up more. Just did a 5" w slat rack, SBB and a slot for a 1/4 closing cover (sticky trap). I put on the cover just the few weeks of freezing temps. Built ones for the rest this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tecrench View Post
    I built 3 Como SBB last year and noticed the bees were inside instead of under and seemed to built up more. Just did a 5" w slat rack, SBB and a slot for a 1/4 closing cover (sticky trap). I put on the cover just the few weeks of freezing temps. Built ones for the rest this year.
    I used 2x4's for my eight frame stands and 2x3's for the nucs.... if I make more I'll use 2x4's for all side pieces and maybe 5/4 for the end pieces to make the routing easier. Hardwood might be my choice actually, to have more strength for the slots in the back piece.... the slots for the screen and the sticky board.
    BeeCurious