Default Are Russian Drones More Successful ?

I've been raising/allowing my own queens for the last three years. At one time, I had two hives that were Russian Mutts. That is to say, they were mostly Russian four/five queens ago. I've introduced swarms from unknown sources and lineage. The swarms were fairly consistent "Italian appearing." A light golden color. I suppose at this point, all the hives are a mix, but I'm noticing more and more that the percentage of dark worker bees is increasing in all my hives. It's not a problem, just a curiosity. Are Russian/Dark bee Drones more successful at what they do? Do they generate a larger population of Drones ? Other than appearance, they are just "normal" bees to me.

Default Re: Are Russian Drones More Successful ?

I have not heard of any research comparing EHB drone mating. AHB drones are raised in the gym to outfly EHB. When USDA ARS artificially inseminated queens with a 50/50 mix of EHB and AHB semen the queen produced 90 percent AHB hybrids. So even if what you want or expect mates with the queen there is some selection process after mating that you may get something unexpected.
    http://americasbeekeeper.org/Africanized_Honey_Bee.htm
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Interesting article. Thanks.
    I was aware Queens can turn the "fertilizer spigot" on and off. Never thought of possibilities beyond that. So, the possibility is the Queen could select Russian trait sperm over any other ? Or, the other way. The Queen could actually "craft" the hive it would seem. I'll have to try to see if the percentages change and what reason they might do that. Interesting

That reminded me of the year my neighbor complained that my italian drones were slowly turning his carniolan hives yellow.

I noticed the same trend - more dark bees with time. Interestingly, I still have 30-40% italian appearance workers, but I never saw a single "italian" drone. All drones are literally black. Even I have bees for 10 months, I did not see her Majesty, so I do not know if she is italian blood or dark... Sergey