Hybrid View

Default Another "first inspection" thread, I think it went well.

Okay, so I hived 4 packages 14 days ago and today I went into the hives to check things out. First observations, no hive beetles or verroa mites were seen.

I was able to spot 3 of the 4 queens and with the 4 hives about 3' apart, each of the hives seemed to have about the same amount of bees in them. I took that as there was minimal drifting after hiving the packages. All 4 hives had what I guess were eggs, there were terribly hard to see, definitely larva (from tiny little C's to large brood) and capped brood (yellow colored domed wax on top of the cells; I'm guessing this was capped brood). Around the open and capped brood was pollen and then around that was capped/open sugar syrup and honey. About 4 frames were built out in each of the hives with 1 of the hives having an entire full frame of syrup, (this was the hive with 2 sytrup bowls in it so I expected as much). I did notice that all 4 hives had the most activity and built out frames on the east side of the hives, offset about 2 frames from center. I assumed this was maybe due to that side being warmer from the sun but I don't know.

One hive did have something different in it. About 1 frame off from the main activity in the hive was a frame with about a 3" oval of semi-built out comb, some honey and pollen and what looked like it may have been small dark grey larva in a few of the pollen cells. I didn't know what this was.

All in all, I was pleased with my first full inspection. The bees were VERY docile. After smoking them and waiting a minute or so, there was pretty much no activity of bees flying around bumping me or attacking me. My cousin helped a little and was right next to the hives with no protection on at all and wasn't bothered by the bees one bit, neither was his girlfriend or my father when they walked up to take a closer look. I was pretty impressed by how they seemed to not care that I was invading their house or flipping a frame around to look at them.

Default Re: Another "first inspection" thread, I think it went well.

No replies. I was hoping to have someone answer what might be the grey larva in the pollen cells were.

Sorry you did not receive any replies...these posts sometimes get buried very fast. I'm a newbie and have no guess but I do know if you are able to next time take a few pictures while you are inspecting your hive. Use your phone or a cheap digital...it can really be worth it later on to view those pictures on a computer and figure out what you are seeing. Of course sharing them with your question helps too! Congrats on your bees and first inspection...it gets easier every time. This weekend I went into all 3 of mine without smoking them and no flare ups. I am beginning to 'read' the mood of a hive and consider this progress!

Could the larvae been wax moth larvae?
    wax_moths_large.jpg

What looked like larva did not look like that (I guess that is a good thing, right!). They looked grey and about the same size as the bee larva. Pondering it later, it could have been that the queen laid some eggs in this out of the way patch of drawn cells and then neglected by the nurse bees and have died. I'm going to take a camera with me later in the week and try to get some pictures of them.

Also, the one hive that has stored nearly a full deep of syrup, should I move the syrup frame over and give them another empty frame to draw out?

Are all the cells capped?