Default re-queening; squashed queen

Okay, so since I started so late in the season (May 17th) I could only find one supplier with package bees left, but they were not as suited for my area (and being in a sub-division), so I was planning on re-queening when I could. Well, I pick-up the 2 new queens tomorrow, but when I went to try to remove the old queens today, I discovered I must have squished a queen last week while inspecting I have never seen a supercedure cell, but from the description I've read, there were two on 1 frame that were unmistakable. (large unshelled peanuts). I planned on indirect-releasing queens into both hives. Will this make that hive more difficult to re-queen? If so, any advice would be welcome!

Default Re: re-queening; squashed queen

Squish the cells before inserting your caged queens...do a fairly thorough search of both hives to squish cells before inserting caged queens if possible, and I'd recommend squashing the current queen(s) right now if you've already ordered replacement Qs. That way, the hives will both know they're queenless, and when you go in & squish all of their emergency cells, they'll have not other options besides accepting the new queens you give 'em.

BTW, if you run into trouble with these hives, and nobody closer can help you, I'm about 3.5hrs away & can make up a nuc or two to get you "back on your feet" before winter

Thank you! I'll do as you suggested - and hopefully all will go well tomorrow with the new queens.

if the new queens are due in tomorrow, then I'd find+destroy any existing queens right now...so the hives have a little time to realize they're queenless first

If you do decide to destroy the queen cells, you could offer the cells to some local beeks. Just a thought. I am doing a cutout and a trapout, and could really use some queen cells. Your local beeks probably could to.

Shane

send me your address, and if it's legal to possess 'em in your area, I'll send you a couple dozen cells...just don't mind the AHB warning label!