Default Nuc with Swarm Cells

I just hived a nuc that had swarm cells on one of the frames. I didn't do anything with the cells because the queen was on that frame (very first frame I pulled, too.) As I want to keep the queen I have, she was new (purchased) when I made the split, do I need to go back in and remove the cells? I also do not want to make a split and have them raise their own queen with the nuc (AHB area). Thanks for any advice! Freya

Default Re: Nuc with Swarm Cells

That is my understanding...the new queens will kill her so you need to remove them or if you have enough bees and resources make yourself another hive!

Thanks. *sigh* Okay, here I go. Lighting the smoker... They are not going to be happy with me. LOL

Freya

Please wait for more replies as I am a newbie so if some of the more experienced could confirm I would feel better! But I just read this in the areas for queen producing...the new queens come out as killing machines. Wish you were closer, I could use some of those queen cells and in fact if you have a bee keeping group in your area someone may be interested....

I was still all suited up (...er...that would be actual shoes and a long sleeved white shirt) so I went out and bothered them some more. My daughter is the one that saw the cells. They weren't swarm cells but burr comb. I removed them since I was there. Now I have to hope I didn't hurt the queen in checking.