Hybrid View

Default Will Bees Used To Solid Wax Foundation Accept Duragilt Foundation?

I have taken over a hive from my Dad this year and the colony has gone crazy making honey. I've taken off 3 medium 8 frame boxes in honey and always return the drawn wax comb. This comb has the solid wax foundation. 12 days back I was in a bind for spare frames and after taking off a box for extracting returned a box with duragilt foundation. Yesterday I opened the hive expecting some forward movement and found that the colony had the two lower boxes still filled 100% with brood, had the third box 100% filled with capped honey from drawn out solid wax foundation and had done absolutely nothing with the 4th. box with the Duragilt foundation. Not any attempt at all starting to build the wax out though everything below was 100% full. Do some hives refuse to switch from solid wax foundatiuon to Duragilt? Thanks...

Default Re: Will Bees Used To Solid Wax Foundation Accept Duragilt Foundation?

if the box of foundation is on top you could try putting it below the one with honey to see if it gets them started working on it, the problem you are having could happen with any type of foundation if the flow isnt strong and they dont feel the need for space they dont usually draw out foundation.

Ditto what bejay said. Move the undrawn under.

I have seen, though, that they don't draw out Duragilt near as well if there is not a heavy flow on. If no flow, they don't touch it or they draw it out incorrect. You have to feed HEAVILY if there is not a heavy, natural flow on.

As anyone who has used DuraGilt or DuraComb knows bees do not like it. If you read volume II of Huber's New Observations you can see that the bees thin the bottoms of cells down to where they are actually transparent and they are not flat as the sheet of plastic between the two sides of DuraGilt are. With natural comb they build it this way and thin it down. With wax foundation they can at least thin it down and shape it. With DuraGilt they can neither shape it nor get it as thin as they like. With plastic foundation they have similar issues, but it is pretty much immovable, while DuraGilt then can keep taking wax off but then then get to smooth plastic that has just enough give to frustrate them apparently.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I am building some new frames this next week so I will take the oppurtunity to use the wax foundation from the start and see how it goes. Thanks...