Default My bees were attacked by larger bees! (or maybe wasps)

I have three hives, and recently two of them were attacked and destroyed by larger bees. Has this happened to anyone else? After the attack, I found dead honey bees and larger bees all arounf the entrance to the hives. When I opened the hives, my remaining bees were very passive or lethargic. The attacking bees had ripped the larvae out and appearantly ate them. Pieces of larvae and dead bees were all over the bottom of the hive. I couldn't find the queens. There were lots of my Carnis still on the comb, but moving slowly and not defending the hive as usual. I cleaned all the dead bees out of the hives and closed them up, hoping the remaining workers could make a new queen. Over the next few days, the bees continued to dye off.

Now they are all dead, with lots of bees stuck head first into the comb (I think they were eating what was left of their honey and just died there)

The first picture shows a good comparison of a Carni next to a much larger attacker. The others show all dead bees (mostly attacker bees, and a few carnis) on the landing board. The last one shows the carnage on the bottom of the hive. Can anyone tell me if these are robber bees, or some kind of wasp? They definately don't look like yellowjackets.

Default Re: My bees were attacked by larger bees! (or maybe wasps)

Sorry, pictures didn't upload for some reason.
    Here is a link to my pics:

I think those are drones.

I looked at your photos again and realized there were videos also.
    I did not see any capped brood, just drone brood could your queen be gone or maybe she is a drone laying queen?
    If so your bees may just be dieing off as there is nothing to replace them and the bees that are left are doing their best to clean up with workers they have left.
    I also read that bees will die head first in a cell when they are starved.

I am a newbee but have learned alot sense i got throwed into it so i am just going by what i have learned so far or think i have learned anyhow.

The experts will chime in soon.

It sounds like your hive either had a drone-layer queen or lost their queen and developed laying workers. Were then no longer capable of producing viable worker brood, raised nothing but the larger bees (drones), the old workers gradually died off until there weren't enough of them to defend the hive and it was robbed out.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Nearly all drones in those pics. -james

Slide #11 shows a comb without honey. It does show worker bees covering a brood frame. What date was slide #11 taken?
    Slide #13 shows drones about to be expelled from the hive.
    Starvation is possible.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Thanks for all your ideas about what may have happened to the bees. The question is who ripped up all the larvae? Also, can I re-use the comb or does it carry desease?

Every piece of beekeeping equipment carries the possibility of disease or chemical exposure. You need to decide that risk based on what you see and smell. When you get past one hive how are you going to isolate a super to a single hive. I have yet to hear of anyone with 10 or 100 hives that does not use supers from one on another. You need to learn the symptoms of AFB and keep the hive healthy for everything else. An apiary is like a day care center. Kids from neighboring hives share viruses and everything else no matter where they live so what are you really stopping. There are strays or feral bees, unmanaged that visit more than anyone.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com