Exclamation Hive is being raided

I noticed today that larger bees with a black back with dull stripes and furry face with big eyes are goign in and out of my new TBH. WTH can I do about this problem? Why aren't the bees attacking them?

Default Re: Hive is being raided

those are called drones. you can notice one is coming in by the sound as well. when you hear a loud bee watch the landing board and you will catch one coming home.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Embarrassed Re: Hive is being raided

I was wondering if this might not be the case, but these are HUGE like a horsefly big, I never saw this in the videos I watched, but they do look like giant carnie & do sound like what I have been told a drone sounds like. If you are right it is not hard to spot these drones they barely get in and out of the opening! This was the first time I have seen any drones then.

Being a newbie is a real pain in the backside

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    those are called drones. you can notice one is coming in by the sound as well. when you hear a loud bee watch the landing board and you will catch one coming home.

yep horsefly just about describes it but the real test is reach out and grab one and hold it on your fist. if you don't get stung it is a drone. If you do. well I was wrong. not sorry cause I'm laughing at you. but still wrong.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    yep horsefly just about describes it but the real test is reach out and grab one and hold it on your fist. if you don't get stung it is a drone. If you do. well I was wrong. not sorry cause I'm laughing at you. but still wrong.
    Ok, I used to be quite the martial artist, but I am not that fast anymore! These bees were booking in and out along with all the workers. It would be a great Kung Fu test though! LOL!