Thread: Cooked a hive

Hybrid View

Default Cooked a hive

Soo got a call yesterday that the fields my bees were at was going to be sprayed in the Am. I went and closed them up completely with a full entrance reducer... Well it got 91 today... Cooked em dead. prolly a couple hundred $ learning experience i guess...

Default Re: Cooked a hive

OUCH! I cooked a hive also. I was transporting a hive home (was a 5 hour drive) with the entrance blocked but with screen stapled across he entrance. When I got home I knew I had a problem when I saw honey oozing out the entrance. Yep, cooked them dead too. This was back in April and I too learned a valuable lesson.

We never close the entrance up. No matter how far and how long the move. Even if it across country to Cali or points elsewhere. Just net them, tie them down, wet the load with a water hose and go. Heintz, you should have just thrown a cheap landscape or bee moving net over the hive or hives at daybreak and wet them down. Better yet, moved them. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

What where they spraying the field with?

I have moved them in hot weather with Kelley moving screens on top strapped down, SBB, and screened entranes.