Thread: Beetle jail

Default Beetle jail

fill halfway the outer [2] compartments with veg. oil and middle compartment with vinegar is this right thanks

Default Re: Beetle jail

Thats what they say, let us know what happens. Dont fill them to much it is real easy for all the vinegar and oil to get mixed up.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Is this the beetle jail junior that your working with?

Ed

the ones from WALTER KELLY CO. clear plastic reusable ones

I fill all three compartments partially with mineral oil, and have good success getting dead beetles.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I got one of the re-usable ones a couple of weeks ago. Just put veg. oil in it and got 3 beetles in one week and second week counted another 12. So they work.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I know this is a slightly dated thread, but "tis' the season!".

I mix veg oil, apple cider vinegar, and finely diced banana peel together and put in Beetle Jails...seems to work very good.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    I know this is a slightly dated thread, but "tis' the season!".

I mix veg oil, apple cider vinegar, and finely diced banana peel together and put in Beetle Jails...seems to work very good.

Ed
    Ed,
    What ratio do you use on your 3 ingredients?
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I do like Steven and just fill all 3 compartments half way with oil, and let the bees chase them in. I tried to spray paint the top of the trap black, but some how or another the bees peeled the paint off?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    Ed,
    What ratio do you use on your 3 ingredients?
    It's no hard and fast rule. I usually will go 1:1 with the liquids...maybe a grunt heavier on the oil. What I do is mix them in a plastic drink bottle. I'll fill a 20oz drink bottle up about 1/2 way with the 1:1 mixture. Then I dice up the banana peeling very finely and scoop, pour, push it down into the drink bottle. I try to let it sit a day or so but when I walk by it I give it a good long, hard shake...this breaks up the diced banana peeling into even smaller pieces. I then fill the beetle jails up about 1/2 way with them. I always have some leftover that I eventually throw away because the oil goes bad. I'm thinking of trying it with mineral oil for my next batch. The vinegar and banana imparts their smells to the oil. The oil floats on top of the vinegar thus slowing down it's evaporation. The beetles seem to find it attractive.

I'm going to try some watermelon in my next batch of lure...the beetles are known scavengers in watermelon patches.

Best wishes,
    Ed

ETA: When I pour the lure into the Beetle Jail Jrs I try to keep the bigger pieces of banana from going into the traps. The hard shaking makes fine particles float around and these pour easily out...it's kind of like the bigger pieces "self strain" themselves. Pour slowly and the finer pieces come out.