Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How fine Do You Filter Honey?

I don't filter; I only strain @ 600micron to remove debris without removing the pollen.
    time is indeed my friend - and my friend and I have decided to process in an efficient way so we can do other things than skim honey (which accomplishes the same thing with more work).

Not trying to make too big a distinction out of it but "filtering" is forcing a liquid under high pressure (that has usually previously been strained) through a cartridge or tube containing a filtering medium that will remove foreign matter as small as 10 or 20 microns, sometimes smaller.

Example: The motor oil in you automobile is both strained to keep large foreign objects from damaging the oil pump, as well as filtered by an oil filter that catches and removes much smaller material that is pumped through the filter under high pressure by the oil pump. Straining and filtering honey is similar to the lubercation system of your autobobile in this reguard.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pawelek View Post
    600 mesh appears to filter out really well so why would I use the 400 and 200 sizes? Thanks...
    Time is money. The finner the screen the longer it takes to flow through the screen. So you may not have time for 50lbs of honey to strain through 600 mesh right out of the extractor.

So instead you run it through 200 mesh out of the extractor which flows at a good rate. Later you move to another setup were you have 400 or 600 mesh and can let it sit over night and strain.

Personally i went with one shot 400 and was happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    Time is money. The finner the screen the longer it takes to flow through the screen. So you may not have time for 50lbs of honey to strain through 600 mesh right out of the extractor.

So instead you run it through 200 mesh out of the extractor which flows at a good rate. Later you move to another setup were you have 400 or 600 mesh and can let it sit over night and strain.

Personally i went with one shot 400 and was happy with the results.
    The strainers are measured in "microns"... the 200 micron strainer has the smallest openings.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pawelek View Post
    Ok, I get the point that I am STRAINING the honey, not filtering. So since I am not filtering will the finest mesh strainer at 200 microns take out the pollen that I want to keep in the honey or is this only possible with filtering?
    I STRAIN the honey through a 1/16 " sieve and all the pollen is in the honey - only the " bees knees" are gone....and my customers love it this way.No heating at all.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/filter

Filter, strain, there is no difference. Straining is filtering. The only difference is to what degree. When you are straining you are using pressure it is called gravitation pull which decreases by the volume. Neither requires heat. Heat just makes it faster by lowering the viscosity of the honey.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Okay then, it's an industry technicality, or technical term. Strainers are of courser mesh, filters finer. You will never find a strainer made from layers of cylindrically confined discs layered w/ diatomecous earth, which requires honey to be heated and FORCED thru by pressure, not the pressure of gravity, but artificially applied pressure.

What almost all beekeepers do is straining. Nylon bags, nylon cloth, and metal wire mesh bowls are strainers.

Terms commonly used amongst beekeepers, those who are small scale on up to those who are commercial, help us to communicate a common understanding. We can argue the point, but, after a while, we should quit doing so and come to a consensus. I am of the camp which thinks these things have already been settled and that those new to the industry should learn the already established lingo. In some ways similar to when someone moves to a new country and learns the language rather than insisting that those where they have moved to accomodate them.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Filter, strain, there is no difference.
    There is a difference. One doesn't strain coffee, they filter it, otherwise we would have coffee grinds between our teeth. One doesn't install an oil strainer on their car for obvious reasons. At least I thought they were obvious. #1 Bird, where do you buy your oil strainer for your vehicle?
    Regards, Barry

Well, After all this great discussion I decided to "strain" some honey I harvested yesterday. It was already strained with a 600 micron sieve right out of the extractor. I ran 2 gallons through a 400 micron sieve and two gallons through the finer 200 micron sieve. There were no percievable flecks of residue seen with the naked eye with the 400 micron and 200 micron sieves but under a 35 power hand lens there were many wax flecks seen in the honey left in the sieve at 200 microns. I assume how much one feels they need to filter is up to each individual and their time on a project. YMMV
    Last edited by Michael Pawelek; 06-16-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Here is a bit of a different answer to the question. Also straining and filtering both are targeted at the same object. to remove unwanted particles. but they are different in the scale of particles they will remove as well as the mechanics of the process required.

I use these strainers of a purpose other than honey. One that actually allows you to see the size of particle that is passing the strainer mesh. 600 micron will allow a particle that is clearly visible to the naked eye and in fact would be felt on the tongue or mouth with ease. like a grain of sand. The 400 micron will allow only slightly visible and barely feel able particles to pass comparable more to flour. In my application these particles are so fine they cannot be dumped from a bowl from there own weight they simply cling to the plastic much like flour clings to everything it touches. I do not use the 200 micro in what I do but obviously there would be a comparable reduction in particle size. as was mentioned before you are getting down to pollen particle size.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Some filters are strainers, but no strainer is a filter. Or something like that.

You use two or more strainers/filters in series so the coarser materials are taken out before they get to the finer strainer/filter. This keeps the strainers/filters operating longer.

Tom

Two very important things to remember:

1) Jesus told some Pharisees "Ye...strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel."
    He did not say you filter at a gnat...

2) Unsure if anyone has ever attempted to strain a camel, but in the 60's or 70's - R.J. Reynolds filtered one.

I thought this to be beneficial to this discussion. Thank you.

CC

This is a commonly used " Strainer" in Australia: http://www.qualitybeekeepingsupplies...2/46-strainers

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    This is a commonly used " Strainer" in Australia: http://www.qualitybeekeepingsupplies...2/46-strainers
    Except for a very small area in Utica, NY, that's what nearly all the English speaking world calls a "strainer."

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    ... When you are straining you are using pressure it is called gravitation... Neither requires heat... Heat just makes it faster...
    You are ignoring the fact that high pressure ALWAYS increases temperature, be it in a solid, liquid, or a gas.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_d..._in_the_engine
    Here is a well known example of a liquid (Diesel fuel) being heated past its combustion point by a piston inside a closed cylinder, a classic example of a pump.

Here is another case of temperature increasing the further below ground level you go.
    http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/story/chapter11.html
    Last edited by Scrapfe; 06-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Since when is gravity pressure?

So what this boils down to is..........
    If a person has a few hives , then the 5 gallon bucket with 2,4,and 600 micron screens and honey gate .
    Should be a good way to bottle a few bottles of honey for not a lot of money {$36} and end up with a nice healthy product.
    Although it may take longer it sounds like the method for me.

Buzzsaw2012
    Yesterday, to filter 5 gallons of extracted honey through all 3 strainers at the same time took less than 30 minutes. Stacking them together allows the 600 micron to catch the larger particles that would clog the finer strainers and they nest together quite well. For my first time doing this I am quite pleased!

So, maybe raw and unfiltered honey is actually raw and 'strained' honey?

I've tried the really raw honey and have occassionaly spit out little bits of something or other.

Straining is good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast