Thumbs Up When and where to add a top bar

Dear All,

I am a relatively newbeek, just started my first tb hive a month ago. My question is, my hive seems to be growing, having inspected the hive almost daily through the window (self made hive), and have also opened it up numerous times and have also located my momma queen twice so far. All is going well and feel like I should be "maintaining" my hive by adding a new top bar somewhere. Although I have numerous open bars without any comb built on them still available between the two honeystore combs they have built and my follower board, I am wondering if I am supposed to place a new top bar between the brood comb and the honey comb top bars?

I hope you understand my question. Haven't counted but I believe I have about five brood comb top bars from the end of the hive up until the beginning of my two honey comb bars. Should I encourage them to build new brood comb bars by adding a new bar? Of if I add a new bar between the two types of comb am I confusing them? Or should I just leave them to their own accord?

Thanks so much for any and all help as we here in New York are hopefully entering our busiest time of the year for bees, the heat, sun, and flowers are all blooming, just waiting for our bees to do the job!!

Keep buzzing!!!
    larry

Default Re: When and where to add a top bar

I'm by no means experienced, but if you've got 5 nice, full brood combs and some honey, I'd do something like this (assuming warm nights):
    | Empty |
    | Brood |
    | Brood |
    | Honey |
    | Empty |
    | Honey |
    | Empty |
    -----------
    This will give them room to expand the brood chamber and honey area. When they have the new brood comb drawn out, if there is a good amount of active brood rearing still going on, then add another in a similar way. Remember an empty bar between two nicely drawn, straight comb will result in another nice, straight comb. Between two crooked combs... crooked.

Personally, I only add bars between brood combs. As the brood nest grows to as big as the bees want it, they start using the bars on the far end for honey. If you only add to the broodnest, the bees get to decide how big to make their nest.

Thanks so much, took your advice and added an empty tb between my brood comb bars over the weekend. Will see how this works out in the coming day's/week.