Hybrid View

Default Honey Extraction Tools

I currently have a whopping 2 hives, but was looking at purchasing a Maxant 3100p while they are having free shipping. What are the necessary tools/equipment I will need to extract my honey this fall........if I get any extra honey!!

Default Re: Honey Extraction Tools

To use an extractor you need to uncap the frames first - you can use anything from a bread knife to the fancy uncapper that Brushy Mountain sells. I use a heated knife and a uncapping fork for low spots on the frame. Next you will in all probability want to strain your honey before bottling. There are many ways to strain - the important point being that you probably don't want bee parts in your honey. From here we go to the bottles & labels and how are you going to sell/distribute your honey?

Shall we stop here, or are you looking for something to process your cappings?
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Can I use a capping scratcher or do I need to have the knife? I was looking at the stainless steel strainers......if that is what you were suggesting. My honey will be for friends/family.....not for sale. Mann Lake has honey bottles on sale this week, so I may order some of those.

Yes, I would like to know what to do with the frames/honey after extracting.

one of these buckets and strainers work well and it is easy to bottle afterwards using the gate in the bucket wouldnt use the smallest filter.
    http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=422
    probably want a knife just use a fork or capping scratcher on the low spots.
    someplace to uncap and hold cappings could just be a plastic tub to a more expensive tank.

Ok, so do I need an uncapping tank also? So the setup would be to use the uncapping knife over the uncapping tank, scratch the low comb, install the frames in the extractor, let the honey flow out the bottom of the extractor through the filters into the plastic bucket with gate, drain the uncapping tank through the filters into the plastic bucket with gate, then fill the bottles out of the plastic bucket with gate. Is that about it? Should I also buy the 5 gallon bucket warmer that Mann Lake has on sale this week?

you dont need an uncapping tank with 2 hives I just use a shallow plastic storage container you can buy from walmart or other stores to uncap frames in, frames go straight into the extractor after being uncapped, then you could place the cappings into the strainer to drain or I just usually set the cappings near the hives to feed what little honey there is back to them.
    have never needed a warmer.