Hybrid View

Default Can I use royal jelly from the health food store for priming cell cups?

Hello all,
    I found some organic royal jelly at the health food store, and I'm wondering if I can use it for priming queen cell cups before grafting. It is not quite pure, meaning has some other ingredient, but it is still totally organic. Should I, or should I not? Input, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Can I use royal jelly from the health food store for priming cell cups?

you never know where the jelly comes from.It could be from a deseased hive.Let the bees do there job they know what to do

Default Re: Can I use royal jelly from the health food store for priming cell cups?

I was thinking I would use mainly for the purpose of keeping the larvae moist during transit. The "wet towel" method did not work. But if y'all thinks it is a bad idea, I won't do it.

I would suggest gathering a few cells that are still full of jelly on day 6 when they cap cells. Just pull out a few of your smallest ones. I store the jelly in a little veil in the fridge so I have it if I need it. One cell full of jelly goes a long ways.

I would suggest you use a Chinese grafting tool. Picks up the jelly with the larva floating in it. No need for priming.

Glorybee has royal jelly fit for bee consumption. It is a bit high on shipping because it has to go express. There are actually two types of royal jelly based on the glands in the head of the nurse bee used. Queen royal jelly is yellower than worker royal jelly
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Save yourself the money, and if you decide to prime use yogurt.

Yogurt? Are you serious? If it actually works, I will try it.

most royal jelly on the market comes from china. enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    You don't believe me do you youngster.

180 grafts every 4 days with 45-48 of 48 grafts accepted on each cell bar frame, and no priming...nada, nothing...no jelly, no yogurt, no runs, drips or errors. Only hits.

I don't think you would actually lie to me, I was just incredulous. I need something to keep the grafts hydrated for 10 minutes during transit, and if that'll work, I'll use it. I just wanted to make sure it works. Sorry if I made you feel bad, Michael and Broodhead.

Plain yogurt will work just fine, it has been used for many years and will do great if you feel the need to prime. let the yogurt come to room temp before using.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Some beeks have good luck with yogurt and some not!
    I am one that is not, hopefully it works for you!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

when you are working your bees and find Queen cells collect a few and save them i will wrap a wet paper shop towel around them and put them in the freezer for later use.

once i get grafting started i will go to a cell builder with a 3 day graft and take one out and use it, its fresh. Some times i graft and take them to a different mating yard with a cell builder in the yard 20 minutes away it works great.
    Last edited by Velbert; 06-15-2012 at 10:36 AM.

I agree with Michael Palmer, I have been using a Chinese Grafting Tool and have had very good results with no priming. Best was 17/18.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by broodhead View Post
    Save yourself the money, and if you decide to prime use yogurt.
    Would that be plain yogurt or flavored/sweetened?