Hybrid View

Default 48 Hour Queen Cells

I have read a couple of articles recently about using 48 hour started cells to distribute gene pool material from a good queen or breeder queen to the masses. I'm not sure I understand the advantages of this other than the superior genetics. Are their other advantages (ie ease of transport, better percent acceptance)?? Would not sealed queen cells work better? I must be missing something here. Anyone with ideas on this please share. Thanks

Tim

Default Re: 48 Hour Queen Cells

Not sure I understand.
    Are the 48 hour cells being shipped, being used by the cell producer in nucs or used in production hives to simulate a supercedure?
    Can you provide links to the articles?

Tim, I read that they were not as vulnerable during transport, and the producer has put less work in them so they should be cheaper. I don't recall seeing them offered for sale.

My understanding is that the 48 hour q-cells are less vulnerable to being harmed at that age. I believe that Dr. John Kefuss in Toulouse Fr was one of the first to ship 48 hour cells. There have been a few articles covering his work/breeding in recent years.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Bee Culture had an article in the June issue from Dr. Larry Conner discussing it breifly.

I also saw this on the Michigan Beekeeping site. These are the new way to get bee stock into your hive from breeder queens. You carry the cells home in a styrofoam cup and install them into a queenless nuc you have made up. The colony completes the construction of the cell.

Tim

to be clear on this are these open queen cells 48 hours from the time they are laid as eggs?