Hybrid View

Default Swarm, trap out, cut out follies and incredibly wild customers!!

Ok, lets hear it! Your most hilarious bee removals and/or customers!!

Last year I posted an ad in Craiglist for free swarm removal, had a "client" call me up and said there was a swarm in the tree in his backyard, I thought "ok, cool!"...........until he said he wanted $60 for the bees because he knows how much they cost from the other C-List bee adds. I told him, " unless you get some sucker to pay you $60 for a swarm, you may be paying someone $400 to remove it from the walls of your house, good bye and goodluck!"

Had another guy call me up about a cut-out, he lives about 2 hours from me. I told him that I would have to atleast charge for the cut out and would get to it when I wasnt busy. He stated he wanted it gone NOW but the price I quoted was outrageous (it was, and on purpose!) and I said I couldnt do the project then. He paused for a bit and then said " well I guess I will just poison them then", and I replied "well, you gotta do what you gotta do, but I cant help you there either!"
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Swarm, trap out, cut out follies and incredibly wild customers!!

The one I recall was a call about bees in a house. I asked are you sure they are honey bees, Yes of course they are Honey Bees. So I travel the half an hour and look at the insects flying in and out of the eves of the house, Hornets. Then I tell the owners,,no they can't be hornets, their honey bees. Now I have been a Beek for 40 plus years, I think I know what a honey bee is and what a hornet is. I finally said good bye and call an exterminator.

Got a call from a lady that said she has bees all over her yard, one of her kids steped on one in the grass. She has had them all year and has not see the hive but want me to come over.

And do what? Collect them one at a time? lol

FlowerPlanter...That is almost like the dozen or more calls I get each year for the """swarm of bees""" in the garbage cans at Service Stations and Fast Foods around the Interstate interchange at Cave City. In July and August there is nothing blooming here, and the bees go to the garbage cans to get to Cola, and other sweet drinks.

When I ask, how big the swarm is, they often say, ""At least 50 bees""

cchoganjr

My wife took the call from a lady that was hysterical and crying. She witnessed the swarm collect in her chimney. She had seen the movie Swarm as a child and was absolutely freaked out. My wife explained swarm behavior, and everything else. I talked to her a couple hours later and she was calm. She said the bees were coming out of the chimney, but that I could reach it easily by going from one roof to another and the chimney was low.

Partially true. There were 2 roofs, but the ladder she had was a step ladder, with a bent leg, and aluminum, which I had to slide under a power line. Then drag after me to get to the 2nd roof, which was a metal roof.

They had no money, and were renting the house. I decided to just do it pro bono because she was so nice, and so scared.

Got stung twice just walking to the hive, stung once after I was boxing everything up, left part of my extension for my bee vac at the house, and they were the meanest bees I had ever picked up - but they re-queened nicely.

Best story was the guy that had 5 gallons of honey in his ceiling. The bees had supered it up there, but the colony and brood was in the wall. He paid me normal for the cutout, and paid the normal price for a trapout on the outside of the house. Nicest couple in the world to work with, even though the trapout was a good 20' up, it went well first time.

oh yeah, very first cutout I did for free several years ago - since I didn't know what I was doing.

Had an old veil with the plastic helmet. The veil's elastic had worn out.

Some comb fell when I was working, and dumped bees on my head, which followed the gap in my veil to my neck. Lots of stings, and squished bees that I tried to crush before I got more stings.